who pays for callout for faulty cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who pays for callout for faulty cooker

today agent emailed and said tenant was reporting cooker making a hissing noise although he couldn't smell any gas.

agent instructed a guy who's done some boiler work for us before to head round as he was free there and then.

Turned out to be a faulty ignition buzzing rather than a gas leak hiss. Cost: £40.

If it's the tenant's cooker, I assume they are liable for the charge. If it's one that was supplied by my late mother, I assume we are liable.

Is this correct?

TIA

Sounds about right.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Yup! Sounds right to me.

Wait... did you supply a cooker originally? Is the one they have a replacement for one you supplied that broke...? That could add a twist!

Comment

You do not have a repair an appliance just because you supplied it.

However, for the sake of £40 I wouldn't make a fuss.

Comment

thanks for the responses. I don't actually know the history. I inherited this property and the tenants have been there for over 15 years. I'll see what the agent says.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
            You do not have a repair an appliance just because you supplied it.
            There may be other ramifications, e.g. rental value for a less furnished property...

However, for the sake of £40 I wouldn't make a fuss.
            That would seem sensible, if the cooker is a replacement, less so if there never was a cooker in the property!

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post
              That would seem sensible, if the cooker is a replacement, less so if there never was a cooker in the property!
              It would be nonsensical even to ask whether the landlord should pay for the tenant's cooker so I am not even considering that scenario.

Comment

Your Agent (ie you) engaged a qualified(?) gas engineer to inspect/repair which cost £40. Agent fees/repair costs are tax deductible.
                Is £40 worth the hassle/your time?

Comment

Emergency call out (and repair?) only £40.

You (whoever pays in the end) got off lightly there.

Comment

Tenants there for 15 years and presumably good tenannts and you'd quibble about £40 - you dont deserve good tenants.

If the tenancy agreement says a cooker is included you pay to fix it, otherwise you have failed to comply with the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                      If the tenancy agreement says a cooker is included you pay to fix it, otherwise you have failed to comply with the contract.
                      Any reference to back this?

Comment

It would be nonsensical even to ask whether the landlord should pay for the tenant's cooker so I am not even considering that scenario.
                        Good for you! In the real world, as others have pointed out, other opinions exist - even those outside contract law, aka the human touch, being reasonable, the art of compromise!

Comment

Originally posted by Stef Cooke View Post
                          Good for you! In the real world, as others have pointed out, other opinions exist - even those outside contract law, aka the human touch, being reasonable, the art of compromise!
                          I was being reasonable... Let's keep it together.

Comment

Sorry!

It's that, often unintended, tone of voice in a written medium again. We all have a 'voice'. I suspect mine is a tad flippant. Yours is curt, clipped. Sometimes I respond with a childish mental raspberry blowing

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                              Tenants there for 15 years and presumably good tenannts and you'd quibble about £40 - you dont deserve good tenants.
                              Not quibbling. Just asking so I can learn as much as I can to be a better landlord. Don't really see the logic behind the equation that a "good" landlord is one who picks up the costs his tenants are liable for. In this case the amount is, as you say, negligible. But if it wasn't....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X