Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complicated First Question....

British citizen living in France.

Own a house in the UK which is let via an agent.

All fine for 5 years, a couple of hiccups for the last 2, but now we have the following situation;

The agent has let the house to a company. The last tenants to rent, gave notice they would be leaving at the end of the month (May), are now late with the rent (3 weeks) and according to my UK neighbour appear to have vanished.

The agent is aware of the rent situation, but is worse than useless at communicating with me. I have no copy of the contract for renting the house despite numerous requests. I do have copies of rent paid including the company name. I am in the UK next week to collect the keys as we are returning is September.

So, I have a couple of questions.

Who is responsible for the missing rent and how can I get it?

If this ends up in the Small Claims Court, am I, as a resident of another country (albeit EU at the moment) entitled to use this part of the system?

Regards

Alex

If you are letting to a company, the company is your tenant and are responsible for paying the rent.

The tenancy agreement will confirm who and how notice needs to be given - because it's a company, the agreement isn't an AST.

Could you please answer the questions here (http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ll-new-posters), as it's not easy to know if you will be in a position to collect keys "next week".
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As far as I know you can, as long as you can provide a UK 'address for service'. Do you have family here who could redirect your post? Failing that, I would wait until you return to the house and sue from there.

Comment

.... And find another agent if you re-let and warn all your mates/colleagues/people at the bus stop not to use them.

Did you have any signed agreement with the agent, and did that agreement state that they are not to put any tenants in place or make any agreements on your behalf without your written approval? If not, why not?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X