Section 21 served what if rent isnt paid during notice given?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 21 served what if rent isnt paid during notice given?

I have served my tenant a section 21 notice for possession, with 3 months notice, is there anything i can do if tenant doesnt pay any rent during the 3 month notice? It is a periodic tenancy she has lived in my house since June 2014, always paid rent on time, she is a primary school teacher but has no savings for future deposit - i didnt receive a deposit from her, she claims 3 months is not long enoigh to save money needed to use estate agent, she is on housing list i believe she may be entitled to bond guarantee? Feel matters are going to get complicated

If necessary, you can bring a money claim against her for the unpaid rent. Take a look at the online MCOL service - it's quite straightforward. If she is employed as a teacher, it should be relatively easy to enforce any judgment (if she still doesn't pay) via her employer.

But she may continue to pay the rent, while still bleating about the iniquities of her situation. Well, too bad. The market for private rented property is subject to a well-established framework and if she went into it with her eyes wide shut, it's time to open them, a bit.

Comment

Who would be a landlord... this could take months and months, her credit isnt in a good way either ive heard, but thank you for your advice

Comment

Originally posted by Tis me View Post
        Who would be a landlord... this could take months and months, her credit isnt in a good way either ive heard, but thank you for your advice
        That would appear to be you.

Comment

You are in business, and your situation is a normal business annoyance.

It is unfortunate that you wish to make someone homeless, but to worry about thier finances about securing another place is not your concern.
          You are not their protector, social worker, financial adviser, relative, money lender, philanthropic do gooder.

You are right, this could take months.
          This is a known fact, and many many landlords go through this.

You are not alone.

If I was given 2 months notice to leave, I too could not secure a place in time as I have a 2 bedroom large house, full of years of items, and I too would say, sorry, not enough time, but 3 months notice would be acceptable to me.

Comment

Your right, thank you ram

Comment

If your really nervous she isn't going to go in time, re serve notice giving only the standard 2 months. That way you can begin possession proceedings earlier.

Advise her of why your doing this as she may well be under the illusion she will qualify for social housing. She may push you all the way to eviction by bailiff for that priority with the council.

If she does miss any rent I would remind her that she will then be deeming herself Intentionally homeless and the council won't help her at all. Nor will any decent landlord when you provide a genuine reference.

It's my instinct that she will continue with the rent but will try to delay eviction as long as possible.

Make sure everything is in order and she has received right to rent, gas cert, etc etc

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X