Submitting an N5B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submitting an N5B

We are going to serve an N5B. We have had the same tenant for 3 years. The N5B asks if the property has been let to the same tenant for the 3 years and wants us to supply the AST for year 1. But for the first 2 years a housing trust was the Landlord. For the third year we have been the Landlord.
    Should we:
    (a) provide a covering note explaining this, and/or..
    (b) try to get hold of the landlord agreement from the housing trust (which will be difficult) and supply this to the court or..
    (c) say to the court it's been let for 3 years and just supply the AST for us as landlords for year 3, or..
    (d) should we ask the court what they would want?

As a separate question - we are doing this work on the N5B ourselves. What is a reasonable fee to claim as costs for our time that the judge won’t reject out of hand? And should we enter this fee in the "legal representative's cost" box?

Many thanks for any advice.

Did you buy the property from the housing trust?
    Otherwise, the two different landlords would (usually) mean two different tenancies - so you have one tenancy which started a year ago.

I'd expect the judge to reject any claim for your time completing the form "out of hand", you're landlords and it's part of what you do.
    If you will lose any income as a result of attending court, I'd mention that - but you're not legal representatives, and if you're using the accelerated possession route, you (pretty much invariably) won't be able to claim your own costs.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to demand for 4 bed houses
      by jpucng62
      Sounds like you are the best person to answer your own question!
      23-01-2021, 14:28 PM
    • demand for 4 bed houses
      by sm1 landlord
      question - our portfolio of houses are 2 and 3 bed

we are buying a fire damaged 3 bed house in a good area which lends it itself to doing a loft conversion due to the fire damage

how do others find demand for a 4 bed house, we do let to u/c claimants with guarantors and a family...
      23-01-2021, 10:52 AM
    • Reply to accepted definition of furnished?
      by scampicat
      I provide curtains and floorcoverings (these were there when I bought the flat), blinds (very kindly left by a former tenant when he went to prison ), and a washer dryer and fridge freezer, plus integrated hob and oven that were in the flat from new.I will not replace blinds or curtains if they get...
      23-01-2021, 14:12 PM
    • accepted definition of furnished?
      by whatsthenews
      Hi,
      New member here. As I believe there's no legal definition of "furnished", would people offer their opinions as to what they consider the minimum items for a furnished letting? Is there a doifference between "furnished" and "fully furnished"?
      If it makes...
      22-01-2021, 21:43 PM
    • Reply to Pandemic problems
      by theartfullodger
      If you talk to me 1st about how you've been affected so I can make money out of the chat then I'd think about the reverse, after seeing what reception my article gets.

Which broadsheet newspaper since there's an expectation of being open all round?
      23-01-2021, 14:00 PM
    • Pandemic problems
      by Propertyhack
      I am writing a piece for a broadsheet national newspaper on how the pandemic has impacted on landlords, what with so many tenants in arrears. I'm looking for landlords willing to talk to me, on the record, about what 2020/1 has done to them. I'm interested in small scale landlords, who own just one...
      22-01-2021, 22:58 PM
    • Reply to BTL - Council Tax Bill - Ancient!
      by theartfullodger
      I'd pay promptly but state email/letter/phone call that you are only paying under duress as you believe the charge is incorrect.

Do so to avoid fines/penalties/p###ing off council.

Yet another reason (big ones being CGT and IHT) to keep records for much longer than the usually...
      23-01-2021, 13:54 PM
    • BTL - Council Tax Bill - Ancient!
      by Claymore
      Hi

Today I have received a Council Tax Bill - I had to have a double-look when I saw the date. Its for a two-week period in July 2010! So, it's taken 10 years and 6 months to send me a bill.

As it is so long ago, I have no records to check to see if I had been invoiced previously...
      22-01-2021, 22:59 PM
    • Reply to BTL - Council Tax Bill - Ancient!
      by Claymore
      Well, having lived in the Borough for over 20 years, I know my local Council is exactly the same as this, hence me not being able to believe my eyes! The two week period was from when I actually bought the property, before tenants moved in.

Its a mere £56. Part of me says just pay....
      23-01-2021, 13:39 PM
    • Reply to How to advertise?
      by landlord-man
      openrent - very cheap to get on Rightmove - and dont need to use them for anything else (though referencing is cheap and effective too)...
      23-01-2021, 13:03 PM
    Working...
    X