Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potentially bad current landlord reference

Hi,

I am currently in the process of moving out and have gotten to the point where my new landlord wants a reference from my current landlord (which he is doing through a reference company).

I'm worried my current landlord will give me a bad reference. I have always paid my rent on time (usually early), not damaged anything and have never had any noise complaints etc. However, the relationship between me and my current landlord has completely broken down due to them constantly breaking the tenancy agreement. They refuse to carry out repairs; name call me; come to the property unannounced; let out the room to short let tenants for a week at a time which I find very uncomfortable and much more.

How can I help this situation? I really want to leave my current flat (and have permission from the current landlord to do so) but I'm worried I'll lose the place im currently trying to move into and any other as they will give me a bad reference due to a personal grudge.

Should I explain it to the new landlord straight away or wait to see how my references come back?

Thanks

Did you have a LL prior to this current one? You could suggest they contact them instead.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by rhib1993 View Post
      Should I explain it to the new landlord straight away or wait to see how my references come back?
      I would explain to the new landlord straight away, when I am vetting tenants if they let me know of these things it goes in their favor, but if stuff comes out of the woodwork when I dig then I instantly think they are trying to hide something.. After that everything they say to try to defend themselves feels like they are covering up after getting caught.. I know its probably not the case but cant be too careful.
      Let them know, explain the situation and why and offer another reference or two to help.

Comment

A landlord is under no obligation to give you a reference.

Suggest you don't get a reference.
        No reference is better than a bad one. ( no news is good news )

You MUST tell the new landlord that you don't expect a reference from your current landlord and give the reasons.
        Such as "constantly breaking the tenancy agreement. They refuse to carry out repairs; name call me; come to the property unannounced; let out the room to short let tenants for a week at a time which I find very uncomfortable ( and probably illegal )" and state, briefly, the repairs they refused to do and that is why you are moving.

I had a similar problem, and I had a new letting agent visited my rented flat and I showed them what the Landlord refused to do. Worst item was sash upper windows rotten frames, where the glass had dropped half inch / 20 mm, which let in the snow.
        I told the new agent that I would not ask for a reference, as I would not get one.
        I also stated I had instigated solicitors and barrister court action against the landlord.

I still got the new flat even after saying above to new letting agent.
        My situation may be different from yours, where the old flat was well kept by me, carpet off cuts were placed at every door, both sides to prevent wear and discolouration of carpets at those most used areas.
        The letting agents criteria was to get the best tenant that would look after the property the most, so I must have been that one.

Tell the truth why you are leaving ( no repairs done - etc. etc.)
        Best of Luck.

R.a.M.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X