Getting rental guarantee for a tenant with a CCJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rental guarantee for a tenant with a CCJ?

Hello, I have been asked if I would like to house a couple within a property. The tenancy is for a couple but one of the couples has a CCJ from 2011 of £900, which has come back unsatisfied. Are there any insurance companies that will cover me for rental guarantee before I decline the tenants? I have tried a few so far and they would be unwilling to insure the tenant. ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!

I would hope not.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Look for someone else to rent your property.

There are more than 2 people in the U.K. looking for property.

5 years of CCJ of £ 900.
      That's £ 3.46 a week !
      If they can't save £ 3.46 a week between them ( £ 1.73 each per week ) to have paid off the CCJ, then what happens when they can't find £ 600 for the rent ?
      They cant find £ 900 in 5 years !

Comment

Unless the debtor is Link, or any of its legion incarnations. In which case ask them about it and, when they give you a long list of unfeasible reasons why the debt is actually non existant, believe them!

Comment

Who has asked you to provide housing?
          Any Guarantors offered?

Comment

I personally disagree.

With a ccj for such a relatively small amount and clearly no action taken to enforce it I would instead be asking what it's for.

It may be the tenant disputes it but has taken no action other than non payment.

It will fall off his file sometime this year anyway and become unenforceable which Is probably why it's still outstanding.

Call me soft but I don't judge people by one misdemeanor if it can be explained

Comment

I'd also point out that iv had a better payment record with people that have experienced debt and hard times than I have with the "perfect" tenant that left with over 3k arrears

Comment

What have they said about it? Cock-ups happen and it may be a "debt" they don't actually owe, although I'd expect to see some proof of that.

Comment

Personally I would be looking for other tenants, if you are finding it difficult to let your property and HAVE to consider this application then I would want to know what the debt was for and why it remains unsatisfied.
                  Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Wright76 View Post
                    It may be the tenant disputes it but has taken no action other than non payment.
                    A CCJ is a court order. Whether he agrees with it or not is no longer relevant.

For me, someone who has not pay what a court ordered is immediately disqualified.

Comment

Originally posted by pauljrc View Post
                      I have tried a few so far and they would be unwilling to insure the tenant.
                      There is a reason for that
                      -they are a very bad risk.

Comment

Just another thing on CCJs:

Losing in County Court isn't recorded anywhere as the system recognises that this may happen to anyone and isn't a negative sign in itself.

What is recorded on the register is the fact that someone did not pay what a court ordered, because that is indeed a negative and a red flag in itself.

Comment

It still would not make me turn down a tenant as long as it was explained.

Ccjs can be given without the persons knowledge if they have moved house etc.

The lender or person owed has clearly taken no action to enforce the debt and it has almost expired to the point they would need to reapply to the court.

If it was a debt I didn't agree with, whether ordered by the court or not, no action had been taken to enforce it, and it was soon to drop off my file, then I'm sorry but I wouldn't settle it either!

An explanation is the key. Especially if everything else on the file was sound

Comment

Originally posted by Wright76 View Post
                            If it was a debt I didn't agree with, whether ordered by the court or not, no action had been taken to enforce it, and it was soon to drop off my file, then I'm sorry but I wouldn't settle it either!
                            I guess landlords get the tenants they deserve.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X