Deposit protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deposit protection

Hi, have read a lot of posts here about deposit protection and am confused, Can someone please explain it to me, I currently rent a property and have been here since Oct 2013, I have had a new fixed term 12 month contract every year. My deposit was protected when I first moved in. Have checked, the scheme say its been held but expired, so I don't understand why. Also last October should I have received all the new paperwork ?

Sorry just interested really
    Thanks

Usually once it has been protected it remains protected until the tenancy ends.

Your tenancy has not ended and there is no reason for your protection to expire.

If it's insurance based your landlord may need to contact them to correct this.

Alternatively if he has moved to a new scheme then yes, you do need to know about this.

Comment

If the scheme says that the protection has expired, the deposit is probably no longer protected.
      The most likely cause is that the landlord chose to protect the deposit using an insured scheme.

Insured schemes expire at the end of the initial tenancy, if the landlord doesn't either renew them or update the scheme to confirm that the tenancy has become periodic.
      If the landlord hasn't done this, the insurance simply ends.

That means that the deposit is no longer protected and the landlord needs to sort that out.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It sounds like the deposit might be held in an insurance backed scheme where I think the insurance has to be renewed each time the tenancy is renewed (or goes periodic). If that doesn't happen then the insurance expires and the deposit is no longer protected.

If you want to do the decent thing then mention this to the Landlord and suggest they refund it to you and then you won't be concerned about losing it later.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, have contacted my Landlord and asked them to update it as an on going tenancy with the deposit scheme

Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X