Smashed shower screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smashed shower screen

If the bath is right next to the sink and you have a glass shower screen fitted and the tenant smashed it against sink. Can I be liable as it is close to the sink ?

It's not something I would charge the tenant for unless they had done it on purpose.

Its an accident waiting to happen to be fair if the sink is so close.

Maybe a claim off your insurance or just replace it with a pole and curtain?

Comment

Im not really fused on replacing but the tenant wants a glass shower screen again and I not to comfortable with this now .

Comment

Would something like the stuff in the link below work, either stuck to the sink or shower screen?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adhesive-R...-/221823391397

Comment

That's a fab idea from Mrs mug.

If they insist on keeping the glass however I would tell them if it happens again it will be down to them to replace as they are now aware of how easily it can happen

Comment

Wright76,

I have said this but would I be able to enforce ?

Comment

Mrs Mug,

Im trying to figure out how big them stoppers are. I think they are they tiny pack ones you use on kitchen doors. If so they wont be big enough for shower screen, But good idea

Yes they are 0.8mm , Not big enough

Comment

You can enforce it as part of your next AST or add an emendum to the current one.

As long as tenant signs and agrees.

It isnt an unfair clause given theyv already broken one. The cost of next replacement lies with themselves else you will replace with a pole and curtain only.

Comment

Wright76,

When you say add a emendum, can I just write it on a separate piece of paper and get them to sign ?

Comment

As long as it's signed and dated by tenant that's exactly what I would do.

Comment

A smashed shower screen sounds dangerous to me.
                      Now that you are aware of the danger, you should definitely not put it back without taking action to remove the risk.

Comment

Replace with a clear/opaque plastic shower screen or remove & add a curtain rail + plastic curtain?

Comment

this is why we avoid shower screens in our properties and just fit a rail and curtain.

Comment

The starting point is that the tenant is liable for things he breaks.

Comment

I agree with jjlandlord. I have the same situation in my home and know that it would take a considerable force to break the screen this way. Bathrooms are often cramped. I would request the tenant pay for the damage and take it to ADR when they leave if they refuse. I would then do as Mariner suggests and fit an acrylic screen

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X