Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging for your time - deposit deductions

Hi All,

I have a tenant moving out soon from a leasehold new build flat. He has caused some damage that I have managed to repair during the tenancy by calling in favours from the developer aftercare team. While I have not incurred any costs and so have no invoices i have spent considerable time in organising the works. Do you think i can reasonably charge for my time based on an hourly rate and deduct from deposit?

Thanks
    D.

No, sadly.

Comment

Does your tenancy agreement say that you will charge for your time, and specify what the hourly rate will be?

Comment

Thanks both. No there's no such thing in my agreement. Just seems unfair that in successfully saving the tenant money i have incurred my own time.

Comment

There's a lesson to be learnt in not doing so much yourself as unfortunately you cannot charge for your own time.

Comment

Indeed. I think i will put it to the tenant anyway.

Comment

You can claim for the damage caused.

Whether you repair it, how you repair it or whether you repair it at all is up to you.

Comment

There's nothing to stop you charging for your own time.
                It would be income and taxable, and you can't use income from your own labour as an allowable cost against tax (which is, I suspect, why people think you can't charge for your own time).

Unless the tenant has agreed otherwise, you aren't actually automatically entitled to charge for the cost of making good.
                You are entitled to compensation for any loss arising from the tenant's actions beyond fair wear and tear - which can be very different.
                From the sound of it, in this case, there isn't any loss, so there's nothing to claim.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

jpkeates,

That's a very interesting take on things thank you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X