Where to service notice if tenant done a runner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to service notice if tenant done a runner

I've had a tenant that has left without paying last months rent and left some damage. There was no deposit as council were going to pay, then backed out once tenant moved in (Long Story). So looking to take to court, but they did not leave a forwarding address. Where do I serve notice, previous address was living with her grandmother who still lives there. I assume tracing companies won't have any luck as she only just moved a week ago, although I am aware of the village she has moved to?

Thanks,
    Michael

Send LBA to your rental property (her last known address) and send a copy to grandmother address, addressed to T, - or just ask Grandma if she has her new address.

Comment

Just hand delivered notice I will take to court if I do not hear in 14 days to grandma and cousin, did not want to question grandma, she is very old and it would not be right.
      Lets say she ignores letter and latterly court appointment letter. On the day she is a no show, would the judge expect me to have done anymore?

Comment

You serve notices to the last address you have for the other party - your property and the grandmother (send it care of) is more than sufficient.
        Its up to the tenant how theyget their mail forwarded.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If she has done a runner and you have no idea where she is, how you do you expect to get any actual money even if you win in court? You have to consider the possibility that you'll actually end up further out of pocket with the court fees.
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

I know roughly where she has moved, she's a mum so I could either hang out by the school or use a tracing agency. But I wonder if I need to wait a while as she's only just moved so possibly no trace on file at the moment.

Comment

It takes about 4-5 weeks for a new paper trail to be set up. If she has done a runner then her tenancy is still live with you so send with proof of posting docs to old address - she may have keys and be popping back to get her post.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by michaelwgroves View Post
                I could either hang out by the school
                Please don't do that!
                I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Just remembered new agent asked for reference, unfortunately it does not mention new address, I just emailed them retracting my reference and asked for forwarding address. I assume they won't give it to me, but at least they know what they are dealing with. Assuming not, I'll ask if they could forward my letter.

Also found where her new partner works, gonna post to him at work. She let it slip it's a new build 3 minutes walk from her partners work. Looked on the agents web site and a new build very close is marked at let, might be worth a knock on the off chance!

If nothing else, she'll know I'm getting very close to finding her address.

Otherwise I'll wait 4 weeks for a paper trail to start......

Comment

Just wait - you seem to be heading into harassment territory (and possibly DPA trouble).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X