Landlord from hell! Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord from hell! Please help!

We have been living in the property since may of last year and repairs were supposed to made before we moved in. They have since remained unaddressed and therefore have got worse over time. The local authority have been in and said that there are serious health and safety issues and most recently our boiler has stopped working which has left us with no heating and no hot water. Our landlady has proved impossible to get hold of. She intiatally responded to texts reminding her that the repair work had not been done by saying she had 'forgotten' but has now disappeared off the grid altogether. Neither ourselves or the council can get a response from her via email, text, phone call, Facebook or post. At this point we just want to get out. Can we give our 28 days notice without her acknowledging receipt of it and does anyone have any advice on reclaiming our deposit from the invisible woman? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Did your landlord actually protect your deposit?

Comment

We were told it went into a DPS. We have saved 2 months rent so the deposit isn't a huge issue, we just want to know how to get out!

Comment

Please complete & paste http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ll-new-posters.

Comment

Originally posted by SMcCracken View Post
          We were told it went into a DPS. We have saved 2 months rent so the deposit isn't a huge issue, we just want to know how to get out!
          My gut feeling is your deposit hasnt been protected. Find out by checking your address and dates in the schemes.

If it definitely hasnt been protected, then personally I would find another place to move to, with-hold the last months rent (I can'tbelieve I am saying this!) and as soon as you have found a property, send your notice to landlord. If you dont get your deposit back, at least you wont be out of pocket because of the with-held rent.

https://www.gov.uk/deposit-protectio...lords/overview

Comment

I agree with Claymore. You need to check with each scheme to see if you deposit has been protected. If it has then you can claim it back. If it hasn't then, assuming the LL is being uncooperative, its time for Court (well the threat at least).

Where did you get 28-days notice from?

You need to provide the information asked for in post number 4.
            There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Originally posted by mk1fan View Post
              Where did you get 28-days notice from?
              I think that's the notice period for tenants in Scotland. Waiting for info. to be provided.

Comment

We are on a rolling contract so when we moved in she told us we would just have to give 1 months notice before we left, is that incorrect? Does she need to have responded to our notice to leave or can we just send it and go?

Comment

Until you answer the questions in the link below with exact dates no-one can help you.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ll-new-posters

Comment

Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England

Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this? multiple tenant

Q3 – What date did current TA start 31/05/16

Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6

Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? monthly on the 2nd

Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (13/5/16

Q7 – If your query relates to a notice for repossession from the landlord (a Section 8 or Section 21 notice) or a tenants's notice to quit to the landlord, please provide the exact date - not sent yet

Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant? No

Comment

You need to give at least 1 month's notice ending on the 30th of a month. Send the notice by first class post, get a free certificate of posting from the post office counter staff as proof, to the address on your tenancy agreement that is given for serving notices. If you post your NTQ tomorrow it will not expire until 30th April.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X