Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agency requesting additional fees for partner moving in

Hello All

As you have been so helpful with previous questions, I find myself back here and in need of some advice/information once more.

The situation I am in is that I have been in the same rental property for a year. I rent via an agency and have little contact with the landlord.

I (and my partner) would like for him to move in. I questioned the how's of this with my agency and have been told that I would need to pay £150 so that his credit rating etc... can be checked. However, the agency have agreed that I would remain as solely responsible for the rent and any damages to the property.

To my mind, this feels dubious as they have agreed that he would be responsible for neither the rent nor the damages. So, why then would they need to reference him to make sure that he can pay rent for which he is not liable?

Your thoughts?

Does your tenancy agreement say anything about other people living in the property or otherwise?

The agency can only charge you fees that you were aware of when you rented the property (they should have been prominently displayed somewhere - you don't have to have actually read them all).

The agent (and/or landlord) may simply be being cautious - if you were to move out, and your partner not, they would be forced to go to court to evict your partner.
    I wouldn't allow your partner to live there if not on the tenancy agreement (for example) because my insurance has that as a requirement.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks jpkeates.

The tenancy says that I cannot sublet. But this isn't subletting. It says nothing else about moving in a partner.

I have no issue with providing his details and paying for a new contract to be completed, I just feel that they are trying for a little more cash than is needed to create a new contract. Happy to be corrected though.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
        The agency can only charge you fees that you were aware of when you rented the property (they should have been prominently displayed somewhere - you don't have to have actually read them all).
        That's clearly not true.

If the tenant requests a change of terms, or offers to surrender the tenancy, then it is open for negotiation.

Comment

What does you tenancy agreement say about sharing occupation?

What sort of accommodation do you have?

Comment

lawcruncher, there's no mention of sharing. Only a clause regarding subletting any part of the building.

Its a 2 bed, terrace house.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
              That's clearly not true.
              http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...rging-are.html
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

And?

Agents must publicise fees. That does not mean that a tenant may only be charged what was publicised, or that he may only be charged fees as displayed when the tenancy was entered into.

For example, here the agent has only to publicise their standard fee for reference and credit checks.

Moreover, this only applies to fees payable to the agent, not to the landlord.

Comment

If the Agents are not intending to make your partner a tenant then I would write to them and request that they only carry out the Right to Rent check rather than the whole referencing process and ask if the fees can be reduced in the circumstances.

Comment

isn't it the OP who is responsible for checking the Right To Rent, not the LA?

Comment

Originally posted by Giggy View Post
                      lawcruncher, there's no mention of sharing. Only a clause regarding subletting any part of the building.
                      In that case you do not need consent.

Originally posted by Giggy View Post
                      Its a 2 bed, terrace house.
                      If you let a two bedroom house it has to be implied that at least two people can live in it, whatever the lease says.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                        And?

Agents must publicise fees. That does not mean that a tenant may only be charged what was publicised, or that he may only be charged fees as displayed when the tenancy was entered into.

For example, here the agent has only to publicise their standard fee for reference and credit checks.

Moreover, this only applies to fees payable to the agent, not to the landlord.
                        Great, my get rich plan will be fine then.

My agent can increase their renewal fees tenfold and my new (non contracted) landlord inspection fee of £1k per visit will be fine.

/Sarcasm

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                          My agent can increase their renewal fees tenfold and my new (non contracted) landlord inspection fee of £1k per visit will be fine.
                          Within contractual terms, and providing tenant and landlord agree, of course they can.

The rent can also increase...

Comment

Thank you all. This has all been very helpful and informative. I will discuss again with the agency,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X