New tenants will pay 12 months rent upfront?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tenants will pay 12 months rent upfront?!

As above. Apparently it's because they're self employed so poor credit rating and salary appears low. Is there anything to be concerned about here? Tenants are in their 60s and property is in Kent so it's a significant sum of money.
    No employer reference, just confirmation of salary. Landlord reference is a couple of tick boxes from letting agent. Should I request a reference from the actual landlord? They've only been in their current property 9 months.
    Am I being over cautious after our last tenants?

Why are they leaving their last property after only 9 months?

Comment

have you put them through a LL check such as Tenant verify? Only costs under £40 and though it will probably come back with a no it will check them for CCJs etc. Just completing the detailed form puts off many "bad" tenants.....
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

I was guessing that the report was a month or so old so it'd be a year by the time they actually moved.

Comment

islandgirl,

We've got a report from the letting agent and they've been checked for that and have a credit rating in the green.

Comment

What is it they're self employed at?
            If they're in their sixties, they would otherwise be retiring soon - would their employment continue (would it be even possible as they age)?

If they're receiving minimum state pension, they'd normally be entitled to housing benefit - would that cover the rent?
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is no simple answer, the final decision is yours.
              Personally I would only offer a 6 month AST and accept 6 month rent in advance, then assess Ts at end of 6 month fixed term.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X