Items left post Eviction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Items left post Eviction

Tenants were evicted a few days ago, and they still have a lot of junk left in my property - mostly bulky broken furniture. I can't find anything definitive about the length of time I have to keep?? There is no forwarding address as they are in temporary housing. I don't want to put it in storage as it would cost me more to store the items.

The only line in my tenancy agreement was the

"To remove any goods belonging to the Tenant on the date of expiration or sooner determination of the tenancy".

I would be greatful for advice on how to deal with this.

Originally posted by ntray View Post
    I can't find anything definitive about the length of time I have to keep??
    You won't.

Your duty as an 'involuntary bailee' of your ex-tenants furniture is to do what is 'right & reasonable'. If the stuff really is junk (stuff that you could not sell), then if the tenant won't collect it (why would they want junk?), you will need to dispose of it. If it is of no value, I can't see that anything is gained by holding it even for a short period. The sooner it's gone, the sooner you can sort out the property for reletting.

You could put up a 'Torts Notice' at the property, perhaps requiring collection within seven days - and that would be being generous - as the government's own 'How to Rent' leaflet suggests that tenants can only expect landlords to hold 'decent' stuff for 14 days.

What's the worst that can happen? Your T claims the 'value' of the disposed of items & you counterclaim for rent arrears, damage to the property (perhaps) and eviction costs. No claim can be started without the T paying the court fee - and if the T knows it's junk, why should he bother? If it wasn't junk he'd have either taken it in the first place, or been back in touch wanting to collect.

If a few days have already passed, just do it.

Comment

I agree with the above.

Document everything they've left and get rid of it.
      If it has a value, you owe them that value, so make sure there's no tiara in one of the drawers.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

And take photos!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X