Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesomestow
    replied
    Clearly artful and jpk's advice to ask is sensible. What is her occupation? If involved in the administration of small businesses that's one obvious reason.

There are lots of valid reasons to have multiple directorships. I have ten to my name, mostly all now parts of a trading group that has acquired by buying smaller competitors whose management are retiring. The acquisitions no longer trade but we want to keep their names to prevent people "passing off" by starting up new companies with those names.

Look at the companies? Are they in good standing? Are any dissolved? Look at the record - were they struck off because the directors asked to dispose of them or were they compulsorily removed for non-filing? Alternatively are any the subject of insolvency proceedings? How long has she been involved with them? Do the records tie up with her explanations?

One of my closest friends left his job as VP of a bank in the City. Took a new job 90 mins away, didn't want to add the stress of a commute, so paid 6 months rent up front. (Hated the job, quit after 3 weeks, didn't ask the landlord for a refund!) - if she's self employed she may have variable income, might want to get the first six months out of the way from her capital to take the pressure off.

She might be awful. Or she might be a great tenant. You can't tell from the circumstances you've described. I was a great tenant, so was my pal. She could be too. So why not ask?

Leave a comment:

• John Duff
    replied
    I'd decline anyone who offered to pay months of rent in advance. Why on earth would they want to do that I'd ask myself.

Leave a comment:

• DPT57
    replied
    I wouldnt take the risk. Sounds fishy

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    As above, ask.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Sounds, at the least, odd: I'd be most suspicious

Ask her why - give her the list of companies: If no sensible answer, politely decline her kind offer.

Leave a comment:

• Tenancy application - Multiple appointements at companies house

Hi,

we have just had a potential tenant view our property.

Lovelly elderly lady, who wanted to pay for 6 months in advance.. No valid reason, other than her preference, as she said its one less outgoing to worry over each month.

Just sold her property, and living with her son while she finds a house to rent.

She is self employed but has funds ( from her house sale ) - based on the details she provided, ive just checked her out on companies house. In the past 5 years she has been appointed as a director on 8 different companies.. All registered to her the house she has sold. A lot of these are now dormant, but none have made any / a substancial income. I dug back a bit further based and found another 20 companies in the past decade registered at another house, which was sold 5 years ago ( hence different registered address ) - Same situation.. Accounts show no profit.

Alarm bells are ringing with me, but my partner thinks shes the ideal tenant.

Can anybody shed any light on why somebody would have nearly 30 companies registered in the past 15 years, with none showing any sign of profit. ?

My "gut" isn't working with the other half, as she thinks shes found the perfect tenant..

Any thoughts would be appriciated.

thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X