Correct Procedure to Evict my tenant??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Procedure to Evict my tenant??

I have a long standing family as tenants (~ 10 years)that are on Housing Benefit. I get paid below market rent but I'm ok with that as they don't come running to me every two minutes with problems, plus they treat the house as a home (they even decorate it)

I was always upfront with them in telling them the minimum amount I would accept in Rent (HB is about 80% of the rent and I accept this figure with no top up)

Earlier this year the eldest of their children turned 18 and as a result the HB was reduced, reduced to a figure I wasn't happy with so I informed them that they would have to make the rent up by the tune of ~ £60 every four weeks.

In July I issued them with a new 12 month AST (because HB needed to see a TA even though they were told that legally they didn't need one as the previous one simply rolled over). At the time I stressed to them that they needed to start making up the rent and also pay an additional sum to pay of the arrears of sum £3-400. I suggested a sum of £100 pm.

Since then nothing.

I suspect that they are taking advantage so I want to issue then with notice to quit.

Can I assume that I can issue this at any time up to four months into the AST with the notice to quit to expire six months into the 12 month AST?

Assuming you didnt insert a 6 month break clause in the new 12 month TA then you cant get them out until next July when the tenancy ends!
    Also have you put their deposit into the new scheme?

It seems you have shot yourself in the foot over this issue my friend

The only way you can get them out is by issuing a S8 when they become 2 months behind with their rent
    HTH
    Please note i may be in pumpkin mode, the light might be on but i may not be here

Comment

Issue a S.21 now to expire at the end of the fixed period. Just as a back up
      Also issue a S.8 notice for unpaid and late payment of rent.

Comment

Can any of the experts answer the following question?

Say original lease was pre feb 97 and landlord did not serve section 20 notice.

Now he offeres tenant a new lease and tenant signs.

Is this now an AST or still an AT and hence a section 21 will have no standing?

Comment

if a new contract has been signed then its a new lease and the previous contract does not matter.

Do as Colin says and Issue S21 now and then S8 once they are 2 months in arrears.

Comment

ok then so question to original poster.

Do you have a copy of this new AST signed by tenants? If yes follow advice others have given.

If not when exactly did original lease start?

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
              if a new contract has been signed then its a new lease and the previous contract does not matter.

Do as Colin says and Issue S21 now and then S8 once they are 2 months in arrears.

See: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/reside...tenancies.htm:

"Point to Watch for Landlords:

Once a tenancy has been created it cannot be changed to another type of tenancy by or on renewal. "

The article contradicts Poppy's advice. I would be interested to know where the articles advice is supported in law. Anyone?

Of course the tenant may be blissfully unaware that they have/had security of tenure if the dates are before 28 February 1997
              All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                Of course the tenant may be blissfully unaware that they have/had security of tenure if the dates are before 28 February 1997
                UNTIL they receive the court possession papers - you can be assured that they will be advised of their legal status.
                On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                  Once a tenancy has been created it cannot be changed to another type of tenancy by or on renewal.

The article contradicts Poppy's advice. I would be interested to know where the articles advice is supported in law.
                  1. An AST cannot be followed by an SAT to same T. L cannot strip-away T's protection.
                  2. Any new 1988 Act tenancy (even a renewal) is an AST unless Schedule 2A of 1988 Act applies.
                  3. See para. 7 of that Schedule. If an SAT is followed by a renewal, this renewal is not an AST unless L serves a Notice (under para. 7(2) thereof) BEFORE the renewal is granted in order to make it into an AST.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Having checked my records (just as well I keep the financial side) they moved in sometime in August '98.

Thankfully this year when they told me that the Benefits services wanted to see a Tenancy Agreement I downloaded one from the NFRL website (of which I am a fully paid up member).

Having checked it there is indeed a Landlords Break Clause stating that I have the right to terminate the tenancy at the end of the first six months

The tenancy was signed on the 27th July, so can I assume I should serve a S21 sometime before 27th November giving two months notice?

Comment

Good for you! yes serve it on the 26th November as you have to give a full 2 months notice. Good luck!
                      Please note i may be in pumpkin mode, the light might be on but i may not be here

Comment

Originally posted by cillitbanger View Post
                        Good for you! yes serve it on the 26th November as you have to give a full 2 months notice. Good luck!
                        Serve the S.21 now, the tenant might take the hint and move before hand, also you will need to allow a couple of days for the notice to be received, so don't leave it until the last minute, allow yourself extra time.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments.

I'll serve the S21 in the next couple of weeks as ideally I do want them to stay as I haven't had a void for over 9 years (plus they do treat it as a home)

Comment

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/residential_tenancies.htm is the correct link. Could not edit post.
                            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to How to evict professional tenant?
                              by DoricPixie
                              The tenant sounds like a delusional bampot. How is he going to afford a very expensive solicitor?

Do you know if the council in which the rental property is located has landlord licensing? I’m trying to figure out where he’s getting this £30k figure from....
                              26-06-2022, 23:40 PM
                            • How to evict professional tenant?
                              by CharlesRiver
                              I have a professional tenant rented my house a few years ago. The tenant relied on housing benefit to pay the rent. It was a one-year fixed term AST, and the tenant refused to leave from then and declined our access to the property for inspection for many years. He damaged the house extensively and...
                              23-06-2022, 01:48 AM
                            • Reply to Council staying eviction needed
                              by DoricPixie
                              The council can’t magic up a suitable property if there are none available. Whilst being able to present as homeless on top of the health issues will give the daughter more points if there aren’t any suitable properties then your daughter is still going to be between a rock and a hard place. Presenting...
                              26-06-2022, 23:37 PM
                            • Council staying eviction needed
                              by lostforwords
                              My daughter is a tenant in a house and has been for 7years without any problems for 6 of the years. Last year she had to give up working full time due to health reasons. Since then they've got worse, she suffered a blood clot which leaves her breathless and can't have oxygen as she has a gas hob. She...
                              26-06-2022, 14:45 PM
                            • Reply to N5B Form
                              by Truth
                              Any tips on a good one to use?
                              26-06-2022, 22:24 PM
                            • N5B Form
                              by Truth
                              Good Afternoon everyone,
                              Its my first post on the site and probably like most first posts on here I am asking for help !
                              Without going into too much detail my tenant has decided to stop paying his rent , after I gave him notice to leave, and ignore Section 8 and Section 21 notices sent by...
                              24-06-2022, 13:18 PM
                            • Reply to N5B Form
                              by Truth
                              I think I'm going to down the housing solicitor / eviction company route.
                              Its going to cost me but this is really bringing me down now in all honesty . I've got a daughter and Mom with very serious health issues and I need to concentrate on them rather than a jerk who's taking me for a ride !...
                              26-06-2022, 22:23 PM
                              by Hudson01
                              Could not agree more, but given the reluctance of the social sector to '' do the right thing'', we will always be in a battle to get them to house vulnerable people.

What a sad state of affairs....
                              26-06-2022, 20:13 PM
                              by gnvqsos
                              The problem here is that the woman was not vulnerable and thus chose the private option. She is now in the wrong sector ,and the landlord is not trained to address such problems....
                              26-06-2022, 20:10 PM
                              by Hudson01
                              Sad to say it but i would evict them now...... it is coming our way and when it hits the reasons you have will not qualify, as i suspect many others will and only time will show them up in this forum and the wider press.

Vulnerable individuals should really not be in the PRS, but due to...
                              26-06-2022, 20:02 PM
                            Working...
                            X