• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jta
    replied
    Originally posted by amazondean View Post
    He can if the paperwork is incorrect!!
    It wont be incorrect if the poster gets advice from here.

Leave a comment:

• amazondean
    replied
    Originally posted by jta View Post
    Don't be a mug, issue him with both a S8 and a S21.

A S8 can be defended and in the unlikely event he is telling the truth he might defeat it, he cannot defeat a S21.
    He can if the paperwork is incorrect!!

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    Don't be a mug, issue him with both a S8 and a S21.

A S8 can be defended and in the unlikely event he is telling the truth he might defeat it, he cannot defeat a S21.

Leave a comment:

• michael james
    replied
    Thank you for all your help. I am intending to issue section 8 under the premiss that yes initially I was concerned for him but now just feel I am being taken for a ride. Yes he is not my responsibility and I have decided to get on with it regardless of his circumstances. So I will not be requesting any proof, just keep it simple and do what I should have done a month ago. Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    - His medical record is no business of yours (nor is it relevant to the actions you need to take)
    - His illness is no excuse (though under many circumstances landlords may find it in their hearts to be accommodating - this may not be one of those circumstances)

Leave a comment:

• Wright76
    replied
    Even in the rather unlikely event he is telling the truth, you cannot be expected to allow free rent while he recovers,

The longer it goes on, the less likely you are to receive the arrears.

Issue a section 8 now and it might make him realise that his first priority should be his rent.

You may feel unkind if it transpires he was telling the truth but kindness will not pay your own bills.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    He's in arrears - that's all that is legally relevant.

If you want to take in consideration his circumstances then that is up to you. If you want verification of his circumstances, that is also up to you. There's no obligation for him to respond.

But if he is struggling to pay his rent during treatment, he should first be getting friends or family, work or even insurance to help fund him during his stay - not you. Be sympathetic, but insuring him for hard times is not your job.

Leave a comment:

• michael james
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• StuartH
    replied
    Originally posted by michael james View Post
    My question is can I ask for proof of his hospital stay?
    You can ask: but I can't see that he is obliged to reply (less still to comply).

It sounds as though that s8 notice is well overdue.

Leave a comment:

• michael james
    started a topic Can I ask for a doctors note

Can I ask for a doctors note

Hello, I am looking for advice regarding a tenant who initially told me in December that he had been in hospital for 2 weeks for an operation on his nose and would not be able to pay his rent until January 2017 saying he will have to stay in hospital longer another 2 weeks at their request and as a result is not able to work. January has come and he is still saying that he is in hospital and now having to stay another two weeks until the end of January, now saying he will sort payments in February.
    In effect this means that he would have been in hospital since 23 November 2016.
    If he has not paid by 21st February he will at that point be 5 months in arrears.
    At first I wasn't suspicious but now having had the dates put back I am questioning the likelihood of such a long hospital stay so have since gone online to follow a few threads on his web pages and I actually think he is on tour in the u.k with a band he possibly manages (he has done this before). Interestingly they are on tour until the end of January!
    My question is can I ask for proof of his hospital stay? For example request a Doctors letter etc. and/or ask him specifics? What hospital and ward are you in? However I feel he will possibly say he is in Poland receiving treatment or more rubbish that prevents me validating his story, which is why I am wondering if I am allowed to ask for a medical note/letter to confirm his stay.
    I have emailed him recently to say I will be formally requesting from him his arrears in a letter as part of due process, but at this time will not be issuing section 8 notice as he is saying he is in hospital. However I don't want to hold off issuing the section 8 if his story is not genuine. Thank you.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Advice Needed
    by Hudson01
    I am very sorry to hear about the issue, i can add little more to what has already been said above, I am one of those lanldords spoken about in terms of about to sell up........ all that has been pointed out as to why we are all leaving is totally true, it has simply become too much hassle and with...
    16-05-2022, 20:53 PM
  • Advice Needed
    by Confused2022
    Hello!

I an trying to get as much information and advice for someone whom is very vulnerable and has many health problems.

The issue is they have lived at a property which they’ve rented now for 2 years just over, never missed a rental payment and never had any issues,...
    15-05-2022, 15:45 PM
  • Reply to Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
    by Hudson01
    I agree with one of the other posts, Company A should have sorted the whole job, it sounds like a 10 mins job with maybe a collar for the pipework being tightened up and then some basthroom sealant ...........you are right.......... just under a ' monkey'' (Arthur Daley speak) for what is a simple pipe...
    16-05-2022, 18:46 PM
  • Invoice for work - am I being unreasonable?
    by Laurasplog
    We have a London flat managed by an agent (full management service).

My husband and I were abroad, and got a call from the council saying the property was leaking sewage into the flat below. We contacted our agent immediately who sent someone around the same day (Company A).

16-05-2022, 12:58 PM
    by theartfullodger
    What does your agreement (or terms & conditions sent) with this say about such queries, please? I'd start there first & then probably their complaints process (if they have one)

Is this the lettings agent on the block (of flats) management agent please?

I humbly note...
    16-05-2022, 16:15 PM
    by Laurasplog
    The pipework was found to be sound. I think Company A were there as an emergency "see if it's sewage and shut off the water if necessary". They said it was a pipework problem and a sealant problem. Company B carried out a full audit on the pipes and found it was only a sealant problem....
    16-05-2022, 14:59 PM
    by Laurasplog
    The letting agent engaged all of them. We gave them an instruction to fix whatever the problem was after the notification from the council there was a problem - we pay for a full management service.

I doubt the agency will give us money back because they've paid it out directly to the contractor,...
    16-05-2022, 14:58 PM
  • Reply to Buying a tenanted residential property
    by theartfullodger
    In November 1979 BoE base rate hit 17% under Thatcher's government. My building society was kind by only raising their rates to 15%.....

IMHO rates will continue to rise. Sorry.

What you are proposing would breach your mortgage terms and possibly result in place being repo'd....
    16-05-2022, 14:30 PM
Working...
X