Can I ask for a doctors note

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry posted the above before finishing.
    But to say it also correlates with one of my contractual clauses. Like I said this guy is being a right pain to all concerned but Advice seems to be don't bother though I'll just add it in my witness statement so it is considered.

Comment

I took an executive decision and didn't wait for solicitor to get back to me. Have issued new section 8 with all the upgrades and appendices and have walked away from discretionary ground 14. Feeling much better about sorting that thanks KeepTheFaith maybe I should have payed you £60 instead of my solicitor. Even if he had ratified my original notice I would still be going into court with that element of doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by michael james View Post
        I took an executive decision and didn't wait for solicitor to get back to me. Have issued new section 8 with all the upgrades and appendices and have walked away from discretionary ground 14. Feeling much better about sorting that thanks KeepTheFaith maybe I should have payed you £60 instead of my solicitor. Even if he had ratified my original notice I would still be going into court with that element of doubt.
        From what I have read ground 14 sounds more trouble than it is worth and very difficult to gain. Also I think you must surely have a good chance of getting it on g8 with 6 months arrears!

Solicitors don't seem to get back to you fast unless you paying them £250 per hour 😏 I would have opted to go forwards with a robust s8 also than risk it, the old one may have got through ok but it's a long and costly way back to the beginning if it was to be chucked out at the hearing. So think you made right decisions.

Comment

Hello again,
          A lot has happened since my last entry. The police have been involved trying to have him sectioned but so far he has been admitted to hospital on day release voluntarily. He appears to have now emptied his room, but has left it locked (other tenants can see in his window), and I believe he may have been housed either by mental health or the council in the last couple of days, but he refuses to confirm that he has left his room or when he is leaving. His behaviour has been extreme ranging from assaulting one tenant to causing minor damage and trying to make the house uninhabitable by dumping rubbish in the living room and kitchen, switching off fridge etc.

Can someone give me a description of how to set up my court pack please as it has been some 6 years since I have been to court. I have gathered everything - texts, emails and evidence of anti-social behaviour - which will go into my witness statement. However the tenancy agreement, particulars of claim, claim form, proof of postage I remember presenting simply with a list of contents/index. Is this OK?

Comment

Do I send to the courts one copy of my court pack for the judge, and one for the defendant, and bring my copy in on the day? Or just send one for the judge and bring the defendant's copy in on the day with my own.?

Comment

Of course, but I guess he will continue to deceive you.

Comment

Hello again,
                A lot has happened since my last entry. The police have been involved trying to have him sectioned but so far he has been admitted to hospital on day release voluntarily. He appears to have now emptied his room, but has left it locked (other tenants can see in his window), and I believe he may have been housed either by mental health or the council in the last couple of days, but he refuses to confirm that he has left his room or when he is leaving.
                Can MJ not make a case for abandonment here? Or would he need to get a deed of surrender or something signed to do that? Anyone?

Comment

There isn't any such legal concept of abandonment (in this sense), so there's no case to be made.

It's a defence to an illegal eviction that the landlord reasonably believed that the tenant no longer resided in a property, but it doesn't end the tenancy.

The question is always about risk.
                  If the tenant has really gone and accepted that their tenancy has ended, the landlord repossessing isn't going to cause a problem in reality, because everyone shares the same view.
                  If the landlord repossesses and the tenant wishes to come back, that's an issue.
                  The landlord can run the process through a court and bailiffs and be 100% safe from risk.

So the landlord has to assess the risk and their view on that risk and act accordingly.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Do I send to the courts one copy of my court pack for the judge, and one for the defendant, and bring my copy in on the day? Or just send one for the judge and bring the defendant's copy in on the day with my own.?
                    I'm going to court next month and had to send one copy of paperwork to the court and one to the defendant. If you don't know the defendant's address phone your court and tell them. They will be able to advise you.

Comment

Cheers everyone I'll check with the clerks at the County Court.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Pets causing eviction
                        Wiffle
                        Hi everyone,

Bit of background to start with.

We are new tenants of a rental property and told not only our letting agent but our landlord that we were the owners of two dogs.

The letting agent checked with the landlord that dogs were ok and they agreed as long...
                        17-06-2019, 17:15 PM
                      • Reply to Pets causing eviction
                        KTC
                        They can't actually force you to give up your dogs. They can (attempt to) evict you.
                        17-06-2019, 22:32 PM
                        Wiffle
                        You join us and the letting agent in the same thought, does anyone know if there's a set limit of time they can request or is it something they can just make up as they go?

I can echo that, my kids are all grown up now but my mediocre DIY skills have been called upon many more times for...
                        17-06-2019, 22:08 PM
                      • Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
                        RichH
                        Hi,
                        Fence at rear of property severely damaged by the strong winds a couple of nights back.
                        Informed landlord by phone & also sent photos of damage by email. I have made emergency repairs to stop them going completely, but they are beyond repair.
                        Landlord says they were put...
                        10-03-2016, 19:01 PM
                      • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
                        tenant83
                        2 million+ rented homes in the UK, 14,782 surveyed by an insurance company is just pee in the ocean. You also referenced figures which were obviously in the landlords' favour, we can all do that which is why polls are useless. I can easily say almost half of tenants are unhappy with their landlords...
                        17-06-2019, 21:32 PM
                        Wainwright
                        At any rate it's a tad unreasonable to give someone 2 weeks to rehome their dogs.

I don't know, but I'd be happier to let to people with pets (within reason, of course) than to those with children!! In my experience and those of other landlords I know, the latter have been far more problematic...
                        17-06-2019, 21:18 PM
                        Wainwright
                        Ah! This is exactly what I was thinking as well....
                        17-06-2019, 21:12 PM
                      • Reply to Fence damaged by wind, Landlord refusing to replace
                        boletus
                        [QUOTE=tenant83;n1070209]

I didn't state any particular survey but 14,782 is quite some heavy weighting.

Why do you think that is?

Which is one of the lowest percentages of empty homes in Europe
                        -or any other comparable...
                        17-06-2019, 21:10 PM
                      • Locking Building Doors At Night
                        ivand
                        Hi everyone, I live in a block of flats (some rented, some owned) with no entry system. The factor want to install a simple lock on the only entry to the building and lock it at night at a set time and give residents a key to get in. I think this is dangerous because it restricts entry by emergency...
                        14-06-2019, 17:42 PM
                      • Reply to Locking Building Doors At Night
                        MdeB
                        We have had this discussion for our block of flats.

The argument for no locks includes "the police advise that having a lock can make gaining entry a challenge to groups under the influence on a Saturday night, but hey are likely to pass on by if it is unlocked".

17-06-2019, 21:06 PM
                      Working...
                      X