Best ways to allow tradesmen access (in between tenancies)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ways to allow tradesmen access (in between tenancies)

Hi,

In between tenancies I often have to let people into my property. Gardeners, cleaners, plumbers decorators etc etc.

Currently I leave a key secreted in the garden with instructions on how to find it. It's worked so far, but obviously its not very secure. I was thinking of putting the keys in a key press like this one....
    http://www.diy.com/departments/maste.../755445_BQ.prd

Another alternative might be fit a burglar alarm that comes with a door release mechanism, so a visitor can be given a 4 digit code, which they type into a keypad and the door swings open. This could perhaps also be used when a tenant moves in, so instead of giving them door key I just give them an access code - it would also mean I no longer have to change locks when they leave.

I can't be the only landlord to have encountered this issue, anyone got any other suggestions?

I assume you don't live close enough to the property to simply pop over and let them in?

My mother has one of those key-safe devices fitted so that carers can get in and it has worked well. I would remove the key during tenancies though.

I wouldn't recommend a burglar alarm as they end up being more of a liability than an asset in my experience

Comment

I have often left keys with my local agent, and tradesmen have picked the keys up from there.

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        I assume you don't live close enough to the property to simply pop over and let them in?
        I don't live that far away, but even then I do have a full time job and taking time off is a bit annoying - either the tradesman or myself always ends up waiting 5-10 minutes for the other.

I would remove the key during tenancies though.
        That was the plan.

I wouldn't recommend a burglar alarm as they end up being more of a liability than an asset in my experience
        yeah - I don't trust gadgets and electronics myself. But I was thinking it could be supplied 'as is' - so if it works, great, if it doesn't too bad! If it comes with an electric door strike like this...https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/...ze_3/DE204.JPG then it has the advantage that if alarm breaks, the normal key can still open it.

I have often left keys with my local agent, and tradesmen have picked the keys up from there.
        That can work, but even then it can add ten minutes to the tradesmans time - which he'll charge you for.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyGit View Post
          yeah - I don't trust gadgets and electronics myself. But I was thinking it could be supplied 'as is' - so if it works, great, if it doesn't too bad! If it comes with an electric door strike like this...https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/...ze_3/DE204.JPG then it has the advantage that if alarm breaks, the normal key can still open it.
          You may still end up with phone calls from irate neighbours or the police that the alarm is sounding and no one is at the property.

Comment

interesting question, and a problem I have had but never got around to doing something about.

Im going to have a look on the net now, but a quick goooooogle found this > https://www.smartlock.co.uk/products...nt=27438486979

Expensive, but also removes all the worries about lost keys, changing locks between tenants, etc

Comment

Just fit an analog key pad external door lock.

eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&...l_48s7v3bde6_b

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions - I do like the idea of the various smart-locks. But they are all very expensive, I think for the moment I will stick with a little metal box for locking the keys in, there are several varieties available for £20-£30. I like the observation by rfph1 that a smart lock makes it so much easier to secure the property when a tenant moves out - no more need to change a lock.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                  by DPT57
                  The presence of a plastic consumer unit cover would normally be a c3 hazard, but I understand it could be higher if there are other related risks, such as where there is older wiring or poor bonding. In the end I beleive we will either have to become electrical experts ourselves or find trustworthy...
                  03-06-2020, 17:14 PM
                • Electrical Safety Certificate EICR
                  by Ozzie11
                  Hi

I noticed a new law means landlords need to arrange an EICR for new tenancies after July 2020 or before April 2021.

Please can I get some advice on this? I started a tenancy in May 2020 - this is due to expire in November 2020. However it is likely the tenancy will be renewed...
                  01-06-2020, 10:42 AM
                • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
                  by jpkeates
                  The guidance says that preparing a property for rent or sale is work that is allowed to be done in this phase of the lockdown.
                  And staying in another property for work is allowed.

So travelling somewhere to work and staying there overnight is fine.
                  03-06-2020, 17:04 PM
                • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
                  by DJVera
                  Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
                  I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
                  01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
                • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
                  by DPT57
                  Yes, I agree about the acting reasonably and interestingly the legislation seems to allow for this too through the use of the word "include"

For the purposes of paragraph (1), the circumstances in which a person (“P”) has a reasonable excuse include cases where....
                  03-06-2020, 17:00 PM
                • Reply to My tenant lied to me
                  by Uklondoner
                  The rent has to be two months or more in arrears? My case the tenant owe me less than two months can still do the form?...
                  03-06-2020, 16:50 PM
                • My tenant lied to me
                  by Uklondoner
                  My tenant lied to me saying he missed the first universal credit payment. But actually according to one of my friend the payment normally only take two weeks to come directly to the bank account. What can I do? Can I find a way to let the universal credit directly make overdue rent payment? I really...
                  03-06-2020, 09:54 AM
                • Reply to My tenant lied to me
                  by theartfullodger
                  As a stupid landlord I take grave exception to your slur, Sir!

Next week, amazing, unexpected, revelations that from time2time landlords lie to tenants.............. and agents from time2time lie to landlords AND tenants... and MPs & a particular special adviser seem to lie to most...
                  03-06-2020, 16:22 PM
                • Reply to Access to sheds
                  by DPT57
                  Possibly, although I was basing my comment on this phrase in the original post:...
                  03-06-2020, 16:21 PM
                • Access to sheds
                  by endymion
                  Hi. We have been renting a flat for the past decade under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. The flat is one of five in a single block. The back garden contains a large outbuilding comprising ten sheds. Implicitly, then, two sheds per flat. The inventory does contain the wording 'Garages, Sheds, Outbuildings:'...
                  03-06-2020, 10:09 AM
                Working...
                X