Landlord advising tenant to stop paying rent!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord advising tenant to stop paying rent!?

This is a slightly unusual problem (for me anyhow)

I have two tenants 3 months into a 12 month AST. The tenants are in the process of separating, the man has physically left the property, the woman remains.

The woman has admitted she can't afford to stay and wants to end the tenancy. She tells me she'll be in arrears within 3 months. The man has stopped contributing financially, but he want's to maintain the tenancy (he claims he's looking for a reconciliation, but refuses to pay for a property he doesn't live in). The man does short term contract work and seems to roam the country staying for a few months at a time in temporary accommodation. (or to put it another way, he's hard to serve notices on!)

The woman (who seems a lot more genuine than the man) can't cover the rent with her wages (this is true, I've seen her payslips) and is currently topping up with her savings to pay the rent. She claims (and I tend to believe her) that her ex-partner wants to keep the tenancy going for the full year to bankrupt her.

The man still communicates with me (via phone and email) but refuses to pay and refuses to contemplate any negotiated early surrender (which is what the woman wants and I'm prepared to accept). It's also obvious that the man knows the system, and knows how hard it will be for me to pin him down to one place for long enough to serve any notices on him.

To summarize, the tenant who's left wants to maintain the tenancy, but the tenant who's stayed wants to end the tenancy!

I'm not sure what the best way to end this as cleanly as possible. I'm prepared to accept an early surrender, but don't believe I can do this unless the request comes from both tenants.

I'm tempted to suggest that the woman simply abandons the property and lets me know so I can take possession - but I'm not sure how this would work if the absent tenant insists that the tenancy remains. The other option is to suggest that the woman simply stops paying her rent - that way as soon as two monthly payments are missed I can take action to remove her and with her co-operation I can get her out relatively quickly and before she actually becomes bankrupt.

The woman has a permanent job and roots in the area, the partner continuously moves about. He knows damn well that she'll be one who ends up actually suffering when it comes to claiming money in the courts.

I've seen the woman's finances, if the tenancy can be ended quickly (within 3/4 months) then she has enough money to pay her rent and remain solvent. If the tenancy drags on more than 4 or 5 months then she'll end up broke and I'll end up with unpaid rent.

Suggestions please?

I'd have thought that wife as one of the tenants could surrender the tenancy without her husband's input.

Comment

What a vile specimen her ex is!

I doubt his plan of a reconciliation will work especially in playing a game like that.

I agree with JKO but if the ex Discovers what's happening he may well contest it.

I wouldn't worry about finding him to serve papers though. He hasn't given notice and his residential address is still your property ­čśë

Comment

Has she made a claim for housing benefit? She may well qualify which will at least help with the rent.

Comment

Don't shoot yourself in the foot by involving yourself in something that isn't your business.

How much can she realistically pay? How much would arrears then be at the end of the 12 months?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            I'd have thought that wife as one of the tenants could surrender the tenancy without her husband's input.
            Sorry should have explained better - i don't think they actually legal married, they're just a couple.

I doubt his plan of a reconciliation will work especially in playing a game like that.
            I think he just claimed that so he didn't sound like such and ar5ehole when I spoke to him.

if the ex Discovers what's happening he may well contest it.
            This is why her simply giving notice of early surrender isn't going to work.

I wouldn't worry about finding him to serve papers though. He hasn't given notice and his residential address is still your property
            true. but with him now moving about the country it's still going to be a lot harder to get any money out of him - and I'm pretty sure he knows that!

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
              Don't shoot yourself in the foot by involving yourself in something that isn't your business.

How much can she realistically pay? How much would arrears then be at the end of the 12 months?
              The tenancy IS my business. I'm looking for the option that involves least loss (for me) and (preferably) least loss for her to.

She can realistically pay half the rent. She's got enough savings to top that up to full rent for 2-3 months. So after 12 months she'd be a total of 3 months in debt and would have a CCJ that she couldn't pay.

If she stops paying now (I can't believe I'm suggesting this) then I might be able to get her out in 3 months at which point I would have a vacant property and have a CCJ against someone who would still have money.

Comment

Originally posted by Wright76 View Post
                Has she made a claim for housing benefit? She may well qualify which will at least help with the rent.
                I understand that the housing benefit department has told her she should just move into a cheaper house (which is exactly what she wants to do anyway)

Comment

You don't go to court to surrender a tenancy. How is he going to contest it?

Married or not makes little difference, as long as they are both tenants.

Comment

You don't go to court to surrender a tenancy. How is he going to contest it?

Married or not makes little difference, as long as they are both tenants.
                    I understood that I can't agree to an early notice to quit, with just one of the people who've signed the tenancy? doesn't it have to be both? He's already made it quite clear (in writing (emails)) that despite his absence from the property he wants the tenancy to run it's full 12 month course.

Comment

I would ask her to find out if she qualifies for housing benefit.

There is an online calculator she can use.

If she qualifies and can stay afloat until the tenancy expires without you losing out then problem solved.

Alternatively, I would contact the private rent team at your civic centre and ask if abandonment can be assumed should she serve a surrender notice and empty the property.

If they are aware of the situation they will be unlikely to bring illegal eviction proceedings against you if the ex was to return.

Comment

I don't think that's constructive Or helpful advice from housing benefit and given that she's still under contract and CANT move then it's also pointless advice.

It's making me suspicious of her intentions as it seems odd advice for a government dept to give.

Comment

You could try to get clear evidence that he has moved out and does not intend to return.

If she then does the same, and you also get evidence, the tenancy will cease to be assured and since there won't be any resident you could just use the proviso for re-entry (which you agreement should include) and forfeit the tenancy. You might want to get legal advice on how tocdot all the i's and cross all the t's.

Otherwise, if you evict through s.8 you will probably have to go all the way to bailiffs.

Or she pays as much as she can but leaves no later than the end of the fixed term.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyGit View Post
                            I understood that I can't agree to an early notice to quit, with just one of the people who've signed the tenancy? doesn't it have to be both? He's already made it quite clear (in writing (emails)) that despite his absence from the property he wants the tenancy to run it's full 12 month course.
                            'The tenant' is legally one entity. Notice from one is notice from the other. How many more ways do I have to spell it out to you?

Comment

'The tenant' is legally one entity. Notice from one is notice from the other. How many more ways do I have to spell it out to you?
                              No, surrender must be from all the joint-tenants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Tenant's energy debt.
                                Gordonmrln
                                I am a landlord of a 2 bed end terrace, the property is owned out right. I am registered Disabled and this was the main reason I decided to rent my property out. As it was not a suitable property for my Disability. I would have to make some major changes that would devalue my property like installing...
                                20-07-2017, 22:08 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                leaseholder64
                                I wasn't aware that the identity of council tax payers was a public record. You might be able to get a statement that it wasn't you. without breaching the Data Protection Act.
                                23-07-2017, 23:27 PM
                              • Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                JP23
                                Why must we continuously renew our deposit with the scheme each time we re-sign our AST i.e. every 12 months?

Why can the deposit not remain protected throughout the duration of the overall tenant occupation?

Is our landlord acting in questionable faith by asking us to pay...
                                23-07-2017, 04:18 AM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                jjlandlord
                                I'd hope so! They run a business after all....
                                23-07-2017, 22:32 PM
                              • Reply to Landlord asks that T to pay deposit protection charge each time we renew AST
                                KTC
                                The main problem I have for the charge being passed on is that often times (esp. through agents) the charge is actually considerably more than the protection fee they pay the schemes. It's been used as another way for agents (or landlords) to make money.
                                23-07-2017, 22:29 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant's energy debt.
                                Wright76
                                Your still confusing your own council tax liability at your current address with that of the rental property.

If no-one was registered as living there then you would have been billed as landlord. The fact that you haven't been indicates that they are aware of who was tenant. ASK THEM FOR...
                                23-07-2017, 22:18 PM
                                Wright76
                                To be fair lvkn yes the rent covers everything you state, but the 48 pound charge Is your choice and is avoidable.

You choose to use an insurance based scheme and hold the tenants money collecting interest. How is it fair to force that charge on your tenant each time?

With...
                                23-07-2017, 22:06 PM
                                Lvkn
                                Hello
                                i am a landlord and have insurance based deposit protection (I hold the deposit in segregated client account and register it with My Deposits) every time a new contract is drawn up we have to pay £48. If a tenancy is renewed, we pay £48. If someone moves out of one of our multiple tenant...
                                23-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                              • Excessive estate agent fees
                                Cml241
                                I have a property which I started renting out via an agency. When the contract started, they found new tenants, did the relevant checks etc and charged an upfront fee which equates to approx one month's rent. As one year has almost passed, the agent has approached me asking if I want them to 'renegotiate'...
                                21-07-2017, 16:26 PM
                              • Reply to Excessive estate agent fees
                                Wright76
                                If you have no ongoing contract with the agent and it was "find" only, they have no right to force you into a new AST.

Depending on the terms of your contract there's nothing to prevent you, if your feeling confident, in renewing the contract yourself and taking over.
                                23-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                              Working...
                              X