Advice - Landlord wants to complete inventory before cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice - Landlord wants to complete inventory before cleaning

Hi all new to the forum was after some advice from those in the know!

I am a tenant in a property since 15/11/13. Had an AST contract for the first year and have been on a rolling tenancy since. Last month I gave written notice to the landlord that we would be terminating the tenancy on 14/01/17. I have arranged everything for us to physically move out my belongings on 14th (time off work, movers etc). Yesterday my LL called to say his inventory clerk would be attending at midday on Saturday. I informed him this would be too early as we would be moving well into late afternoon/evening so I wouldn't be able to hand back keys. He said the clerk wouldn't be available after 1pm or on Sunday so I requested them to come on Monday morning. The LL agreed with this so to allow me ample time to move out and sort everything out, I went ahead and arranged professional cleaners to come on Sunday. This works well for me as I can move Saturday, clean Sunday and hand over keys and check out Monday.

Now fast forward to today; LL has called saying he has been advised against allowing me to have keys after the move out date so will be sending inventory clerk on Saturday to complete the check out and collect keys. He said this was something to do with insurance and he wanted to make sure he protects himself. I totally understand this, but where does this now leave me? If the inventory is completed before the cleaning, what is to stop the landlord using that report against me to claim costs for cleaning even though they are still booked to attend the following day?

I have no experience with this some some advice would be much appreciated.

You've given notice to end the tenancy at midnight on 14th. You've no right to occupy (even for cleaning) on 15th, but there's no reason for you to agree to check-out 'during' your tenancy. If the landlord can't arrange an inventory clerk until Monday, that's no concern of yours, but your tenancy still ends on 14th.

Comment

Thanks Stuart. The only reason I booked the cleaners for that day was because the LL had agreed. I understand what you are saying is true but what do I do now if the landlord insists on completing the check out inventory on Saturday before the cleaning is done (he has already agreed he will attend the property on Sunday to allow the cleaners access)

Comment

Offer to pay an additional day's rent as 'compensation' for him letting in the cleaners, but hand back your keys and be out on 14th. You don't have to agree to return keys before midnight, but if he will confirm that he will allow the cleaners access on Sunday, for checkout on Monday (ie after cleaning), it may be worth agreeing to hand over keys early.

The two of you can agree anything you like.

Comment

That's the problem though... that's not what he is saying. He is insisting on the inventory clerk coming to complete check out and collect keys on Saturday. He said he will let in the cleaners on Sunday. My question was where does that leave me as he is insisting the check out inventory be completed on Saturday, before the cleaning will have taken place.

Comment

He can't insist on you returning the keys until midnight. It might suit him, but he can't insist. Equally, you've made your removal arrangements based on the expectation of having a day's grace to which you're not entitled. Talk to him and work out a compromise. And if none is to be found, get what cleaning you can do done in advance, get your stuff out, and enlist some friends or family to help you finish cleaning, yourself, once the place is empty. You've got until midnight ...

Comment

He won't confidently be able to rely on the check out report if it is knowingly made before you move out!

Why not do what you have to do on Saturday. Give the keys back. Do check out on Monday. Agree (in advance, obviously) to pay landlord what you were going to pay the cleaner in compensation for it not having been cleaned. He can then hire your cleaner or some one else, or do it himself and keep the cash.
              Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X