damage and dilapidations - water damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damage and dilapidations - water damage

We have a property which is managed by a high street estate agent. We were advised last week via the agent that the dishwasher had broken so someone was sent out to look at it and advised that it was beyond repair. We were quoted for replacement dishwashers in the region of £400 on Friday. I was waiting for more information from the agents on this which was supplied today and also told that the tenants are getting fed up and concerned that they will be damaging the worktop (it's newly installed and laminate) due to the level of washing up and draining necessary without the dishwasher. I queried this when there is a draining board and plate rack drainer and what would happen if there was damage. Could we not just politely ask the tenants not to leave things to dry on the surface? The agents have basically told me that if the worktop gets damaged while the dishwasher is out of order then it is our responsibility to fix it and would not be taken off the tenants deposit (the TDS would rule against us).

Is this right? I don't feel we are being slow in replacing the dishwasher (although think the agents have been slow in advising us that the dishwasher broke). I don't want to spend £400 on a new one so am looking at options today. The suggestion seems to be that if the tenants is careless (isn't leaving pools of water all over the kitchen careless when it really isn't necesary) but tells us about it, it is our problem to fix. Or am I being massively naive?

Although I agree it's an inconvenience to your tenant and I'm assuming the dishwasher is included in the AST, it's hardly life and death.

Most people manage perfectly well hand washing and using the drainer which I'm assuming is for for its purpose.

I think the agent is probably Sick of the tenants Moaning and trying to hurry you Along.

There's no reason the bench should get damaged by regular washing up.

You should however be dealing with a replacement ASAP

Comment

Does the kitchen sink have a drainer?

Comment

Yes it's is a standard stainless steel sink and draining board and we also have a rack for plates and cutlery which for the draining board.

Comment

supply one of these http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23868/Diam...170110181023:s

or tell them to put some tea towels down on the worktop?

But no excuse for not replacing - see http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househo...868&awid=47868

and http://markselectrical.co.uk/FDFET33...ishwasher.html

Comment

I'm not suggesting that we are not going to replace the dishwasher - we are. It's just not something I can do in 24 hours! I only got all the information action from the agents today. My question is whether the agents are right about what they are saying about any damage in these circumstances?

Comment

What do the agents think distinguishes your apparently delicate drainage set up from that in a house with no dishwasher?
              Assume I know nothing.

Comment

part of the rent should be set aside for repairs and replacements. If you have a credit card and a car it may be perfectly possible to replace the same day. Took me 5 minutes to get you possibilities considerably less than £400 and with decent guarantees.

Comment

I don't know - it's isn't delicate as far as I am aware! Just a bog standard sink and draining board.

Comment

Has drying using a tea towel really become so rare that the letting agent hasn't heard of it!?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X