Tenants dog has done a lot of damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants dog has done a lot of damage

Two years ago I had a tenant who broken the tenancy agreement by bringing a dog in his flat. He suddenly left, and when I inspected the flat, the carpet lino was torn. For 2 years I have tried to trace him, and now I have I have given him a bill for £600 and a couple of photos showing the damage. Would I win in court if I took him to the small claims court. His deposit was only £200 which did not cover the damage

I wouldn't bother if I were you. Judges hate landlords, and will do anything possible to screw us over.

See here: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...iculous-judges

Comment

You could try money claim online - easy and relatively cheap. May be worth a punt. Only bother though if he is working or has property - otherwise even if you get a CCJ you won't get the money!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

It sounds like he did and runner and you simply kept his deposit? this advise is no use now, but wouldn't it have helped if you'd gone to deposit protection arbitration beforehand - if you had the results of their arbitration in your favor then wouldn't it be easier if when you come to the courts.

Personally I say try the courts anyway, if you get a CCJ against him at least the next landlord may be aware.

Comment

Did you allow for wear and tear before submitting the bill? If not make the appropriate deduction before making the claim.

Comment

Also make sure you protected the deposit and served the PI within 30 days of receipt or you will open yourself up to a penalty of up to 3x the value of the deposit

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X