Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting one room in a 4 bed house and paying bills advice

Hey all,

I just need some advice on paying my bills. I live in a 4 bed house where I rent one of the bedrooms. When I first moved here the idea was that the other bedrooms will be occupied asap and that we would split the bills between four rooms. One of the bedrooms was occupied by the landlord for a period of time but now he wants to split all the bills into two. I understand that electricity and gas makes sense to be split this way as the cost varies but I do not think it is my responsibility to divide council tax, water, internet and tv into two as it is not my fault he did not find tenants for the other two rooms nor I have rented half of the house to myself. I am just wondering if my thoughts make sense.
    The bills are all in the landlord's name and the contract does not say anything about how the bills are split.
    I hope someone can help with some feedback and thoughts regarding this issue.

Thank you,
    AJ

You need your own tv license anyway (no one cares, but its technically correct).
    Council tax and water are also per person (and if the water isn't ask the landlord to get it metered).

If the bills being split 4 ways was part of the original deal, the landlord has to honour it really.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you for your reply. That is very helpful.

Comment

Actually council tax is not per person - I don't even know why I typed that!
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

No, council tax is calculated in regards to the value of your home, but as I am renting just one bed I imagine it should be split to four anyways. Am I not right?

Comment

The landlord will have to pay the tax and claim it back from you.
            So I'd guess he'll now want half.

Comment

I would have a polite conversation with the landlord about tbis not being an expense you had budgeted for and that if he doesnt feel he can accept your quarter share of the bills as agreed you will have tolook for accommodation elsewhere. Assuming that is your bottom line.

Comment

Is the LL still a resident LL?
                Does LL own the property/have permission to Let it?
                Is OP a lodger?

Comment

Originally posted by AJ2 View Post
                  No, council tax is calculated in regards to the value of your home, but as I am renting just one bed I imagine it should be split to four anyways. Am I not right?
                  In Council Tax legislation you're not liable for the council tax for one (or both) or the following:

1) The landlord is resident therefore they have the higher interest and are liable under S6 of the LGFA92.
                  2) You only rent a room therefore it's a council tax HMO (liability for owners regulations) and the landlord is automatically liable for the council tax charge.

The council would not chase you for payment and you should not be named as jointly liable for any council tax charge.

You may however have a contractual agreement to make payment with the landlord and be liable to the landlord for payments.

Craig
                  Previously served 10 years as a council tax advisor with a local authority but now self-employed with my own council tax consultancy.

If your local authority disagrees with any aspects of your council tax claim, as they are free to do so, a Valuation Tribunal appeal may be required.

Comment

I have an assured shorthand tenancy but the landlord is indeed a resident and he owns the property.

Comment

That is very helpful, thank you. Now I have discussed with him but he decided that it's time for him to try and make money out of bills so he decided he will have a fixed rate per person for the fixed bills, that is above what it should be if he calculated at the minimum amount of people that can be in here so now he would be making £30 a month profit out of that. Also he doesnt understand that council tax is not per person. Thoughts?

Comment

The landlord is not allowed to make profit by re-selling utility charges from tenants.
                        They can only charge what they are charged (including VAT).
                        https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/ofgem-publi...pdateoct05.pdf

The landlord is going to have to pay the council tax and can only recharge it as agreed in the tenancy agreement - the wording is likely to be unhelpful.

Comment

Ok. thank you. The tenancy agreement has nothing about bills. There is no specification of anything like that.

Comment

Also, he is charging more for tv, internet, council tax and water together. Not gas and electricity. Does that change anything?

Comment

I'd ask for a clear contract splitting the bills.

Without an agreement you aren't liable anyway.

He can't charge more than the actual bill for utilities such as gas, electric and water and I would suggest that he would be paying for Internet for himself anyway without your presence.

I see his point in dividing fuel costs in two, as with less residents your effectively only paying for your usage anyway.

I would suggest all other bills are divided into the number of possible occupants.

Even collecting only your share the LL is still gaining a contribution towards bills he would otherwise be personal liable, including the council tax

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X