Lead Tenant - deposit protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lead Tenant - deposit protection

Is it right to say that the Lead Tenant is only a point of contact between the deposit scheme, landlord and tenant – an admin role as it were – and has no real legal bearing? I have a tenant who was nominated Lead Tenant under a joint AST. He remained in the flat after the joint tenancy ended as a sole tenant - was it really necessary for me to update the deposit protection? My agent ( who takes care of the tenancy for me ) told me we didn't have to do anything because it was the former Lead Tenant who was remaining and the deposit could just transfer over - 'roll over' I think she said. This happened six months ago.

Now reading some of threads on this forum I believe I may be at fault.

I don't have any intention of taking possession - just need reassuring.

Did you give him a new AST in his name only or has the previous joint tenancy continued?
    Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

The sole tenant began a new tenancy.
      All of the requirements of a new tenancy are necessary (deposit and PI, the correct how to rent booklet, EPC, physical check of alarms) as there is no run on from the previous tenancy at all.

If the deposit was/is in an insured scheme it probably isn't protected at all.
      If its in a custodial scheme, it may just be the PI that's missing - but the deposit rules have probably been broken, so it's probably also not protected.

Your agent was wrong.
      Not, I guess, the reassurance you sought.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Only the remaining tenant signed the renewal.

Comment

So the agent is actually wrong about the Lead Tenant status ?

The deposit is in an insurance scheme - the agent holds the money.

Comment

The AST is a new one so the deposit needs to be protected again and all the relevant documents JPK mentions needs to be reserved. A new premium needs to be paid to the scheme informing them of new AST details. Deposit protection is specific to the AST.

Once again another example of how ill informed agents are getting landlords into hot water.

Comment

I will contact the agent immediately and find out why they think the Lead Tenant matter is so important.

Hopefully we can sort this out as soon as possible and update the protection.

I'm a little worried though about any future action the tenant might take because of my agent's ignorance.

Comment

It did need to be reprotected, but as per another thread that's ongoing you should actually return the original deposit and request another for the sole tenancy.

That deposit does not belong to your sole tenant and it is up to him to distribute it back to the original tenants. If he chooses not to do so then that's a matter for them to chase up with him not you.

It is my belief (and I'm not legally qualified) that if you do this now and take a new deposit which you protect and issue PI within 30 days for, you may protect yourself from any later penalty claim.

Comment

Does an actual cheque need to be raised for the return of the deposit or can it all be done notionally so that the money just stays where it is for the new tenancy ?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bell View Post
                    I will contact the agent immediately and find out why they think the Lead Tenant matter is so important.

Let us know what they say.

Comment

In case there is any doubt on the date you actually received deposit (bearing in mind you have 30 days to ensure its protected correctly and PI served) I would physically return the deposit.

Explain to your now tenant that this is the return of the original deposit as it does not solely belong to him and can't be accepted on new tenancy.

Advise him that a new deposit is now due. He may well give you the same cash back but your signed paperwork will say deposit paid on XX date and you can protect it accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bell View Post
                        Does an actual cheque need to be raised for the return of the deposit or can it all be done notionally so that the money just stays where it is for the new tenancy ?
                        If the original deposit is deemed returned and paid back to landlord/agent to reprotect however the tenant can claim that it was paid back 6 months ago and not protected.

So as far as you are concerned you DO NOT hold a deposit for the current tenancy.

Comment

Which makes me think as well why the previous tenants did not ask for their deposit back? Or did they claim it from your sole tenant?

Comment

Wright advice seems logical( i.e get the date documented that the deposit for the new AST was received) Or you can instruct the agent to return the deposit now and get it in writing that the new AST has NO deposit and leave it at that. Obliviously that means you will not have a deposit for the new AST, but it also means there can be no come back later.
                            If the tenant takes the view the original deposit was not returned and deemed repaid for a the new AST he may have a case.

Remember to also re-serve EPC, GAS cert, Latest HOW TO LET booklet.

Comment

I left these matters for my agent - who is unreachable today - but I do know that there was no break between the tenancies - one ended the other immediately started. There must have been some kind of agreement between the two former tenants regarding the deposit - hence the simple 'roll over' mentioned by the agent.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Ending Joint Tenancy & Agency Fees
                                by Darkside
                                Just thought I'd update this and summarise. Thanks for all replies so far and apologies if what I am saying is confusing (some of it doesn't really make sense to me either).
                                Our previous FTA ended on 19-09-2020 between myself and two others (joint tenancy). On the 20-09-2020, one of the others...
                                01-10-2020, 08:06 AM
                              • Ending Joint Tenancy & Agency Fees
                                by Darkside
                                Hi everyone,

I've already found a great deal of useful information on this forum so many thanks to all these knowledgable posters!

I entered into a joint fixed term tenancy agreement with two others. The fixed term runs for 12 months and the wording in case it helps is 'The...
                                06-09-2020, 08:05 AM
                              • Reply to Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel
                                by tatemono
                                I think you've done all you can in the situation including what many would not in offering your own facilities. I think, given the T's circumstances she would have been in her right to argue for some reduction in rent due to the inconvenience of not having all that she paid for. Perhaps you could negotiate...
                                01-10-2020, 07:51 AM
                              • Boiler repair - tenant checked into hotel
                                by tedcbe
                                Hi I have a tenant who has checked into a hotel due to the fact that the boiler broke down and says she will reduce the amount in the next month’s rent.
                                I have never agreed for her to check into a hotel in the first place.
                                She reported there is an issue with the heating on Sunday night...
                                30-09-2020, 22:30 PM
                              • Reply to Tenant moves his girlfriend in
                                by tatemono
                                That's the only thing we've ever done when partners move in... based on advice on these forums I should add!...
                                01-10-2020, 07:46 AM
                              • Tenant moves his girlfriend in
                                by Hollywood
                                Hi all, I've searched for similar thread but didn't succeed.
                                My Tenant of 14 months, now on a SPT, has moved his girlfriend in. I'm ok with arrangement, it was mentioned by him when he first moved in but they split and nothing happened until now. He has been a good tenant so far & kindly...
                                30-09-2020, 14:12 PM
                              • Reply to Deposit Protection Rules?
                                by jase222
                                There was a case in Bristol similar where the judge rule that the landlord was right to give the original tenant the pi only and didn't need to for a later tenant but I know there was other info about the case, worth no win no fee tho
                                01-10-2020, 07:12 AM
                              • Deposit Protection Rules?
                                by Nips
                                Hi all ex tenant here, hoping someone can help as I can't find a lot of concrete advice online. Basically, I ended a very stressful tenancy in Aug 2019. There was a lot of back and forth, unclear info, and formal complaints, plus at the end of the tenancy they scalped us with deposit deductions. Just...
                                30-09-2020, 17:43 PM
                              • Reply to Deposit Protection Rules?
                                by MW1985
                                It is worth seeking with a no win no fee firm in this scenario. I would offer my opinion to say that the LA were remiss in not providing you with the deposit information. How were you to know the details contained within the Prescribed Info?
                                It sounds as if some short cuts were taken by the...
                                01-10-2020, 06:05 AM
                              • Reply to Rent arrears recovery from mentally disabled ex-tenant
                                by nukecad
                                LOL, do you not read the news (or do you skip over anything disability/benefit related)?.

"Everyones a scrounger" is endemic in the benefits system, from government ministers to jobcentre staff.

Here's a particular telling case from last year. - If the DWP employee...
                                01-10-2020, 05:14 AM
                              Working...
                              X