TDS & Periodic tenancy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDS & Periodic tenancy

Deposit taken prior to the implementation of TDS. Joint tenancy is periodic. Deed of assignment signed after implementation of TDS - outgoing tenant given deposit back by landlord, incoming tenant gives landlord a deposit.

Does the change in tenant now make the deposit come within TDS regulations and that as they are joint tenants, it should be lodged as a single sum?

If so, how does the landlord best administer any future change of joint tenant (through a Deed of Assignment) when a single sum is lodged in TDS?

Is it permissable to lodge the individual tenants contribution to the deposit on an individual basis despite a joint AST?

As the old tenancy is still continuing, I assume that the old deposit rules ought to apply too- or is that wrong?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      As the old tenancy is still continuing, I assume that the old deposit rules ought to apply too- or is that wrong?
      No, it's right!!!!!!!!

Comment

Is a new deposit being taken? If so then im not sure it might have to be registered;

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2004...20040034_en_19

section 213 & 214 - refers to deposits rather than ast?

What does anyone else think?

Comment

found the answer;

http://www.broxbourne.gov.uk/Internet/Web%20PDFs/Housing/Landlords'%20Forum%20minutes%202007-05-09.pdf

paragraph on page 2 just before the links, concenrning just this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Planner View Post
            found the answer;

http://www.broxbourne.gov.uk/Internet/Web%20PDFs/Housing/Landlords'%20Forum%20minutes%202007-05-09.pdf

paragraph on page 2 just before the links, concenrning just this situation.
            ...which says what (in summary)?
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Dont put yourself out Jeffrey;

What happens if one of four tenants in a property moves out?
              If a tenant moves out, the replacement tenant would sign a deed of assignment to accept
              that they are taking over the tenancy from the person moving out, in which case the
              deposit would not need to be protected if the tenancy began before 6th April 2007.
              Alternatively, the landlord could end the tenancy, return the deposit and then start a new
              tenancy, in which case the new deposit would need to be protected.

Comment

Dont put yourself out Jeffrey
                No, because I usually do.

Comment

What happens if one of four tenants in a property moves out?
                  If a tenant moves out, the replacement tenant would sign a deed of assignment to accept
                  that they are taking over the tenancy from the person moving out, in which case the
                  deposit would not need to be protected if the tenancy began before 6th April 2007.
                  Alternatively, the landlord could end the tenancy, return the deposit and then start a new
                  tenancy, in which case the new deposit would need to be protected.
                  ...which confirms my post #2 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post

Oh yes, how acurate and certain, no hint of doubt there. I can see why you wouldnt want to put yourself out in responding to my post with the amount you put into this reply.

Im off home now. Look forward to spending the day disagreeing with you tommorow Jeffrey.

Comment

Yes- I disagree with the "tomorow" [sic] too!
                      Don't get so cross all the time.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Legal question
                        by Hudson01
                        Wow..... some children can be the spawn of Satan..... but that aside, is it possible for him to move in with any of the other children etc, then the rogue child will not have as easy access to him, sad i know and it may not be possible with the adults in all the various families all working but it could...
                        01-03-2021, 15:31 PM
                      • Legal question
                        by mind the gap
                        Hi all, hope you're keeping safe.

Not sure which forum to put this in - happy for Moderator to move if appropriate.

Scenario is as follows. In 2018, elderly widower changes the will he made jointly with wife in 1980s. He does it all properly, using a solicitor and include...
                        01-03-2021, 13:01 PM
                      • Reply to Notice Period to Tenants
                        by Hudson01
                        If i were a betting man..............if this ended on the day it should..... there would be carnage and all the left wing would be up in arms and the name of the ' Landlord ' would be even lower than it is now, i can see it being extended again....
                        01-03-2021, 15:22 PM
                      • Notice Period to Tenants
                        by annam222
                        Hi all,
                        I rent out my flat using an estate agents let & collect service. It is rented out using an assured shorthold tenancy agreement of 12 months (no break clause). The 12 months ends in August this year. I have just been told by the estate agents that "due to Covid the law has changed...
                        01-03-2021, 14:54 PM
                        by KTC
                        Yes. To evict a tenant with a assured shorthold tenancy, a section 8 or section 21 notice must be served by the landlord to the tenant. The tenancy does not end on its expiry. If tenant does not leave either with or without the landlord's agreement, then landlord would be required to go to court for...
                        01-03-2021, 14:59 PM
                        by theartfullodger
                        6 months min if s21, s8 varies depending on grounds. How many month's rent owing please, any other grounds?
                        01-03-2021, 14:56 PM
                      • Reply to Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
                        by nukecad
                        No more disgusting than a regular plughole, it's just that you can see what's in there.

Being a Plumber entails dealing with muck, and worse.
                        Think about that next time you get a plumbing bill.
                        01-03-2021, 14:43 PM
                      • Whos responsible for slow draining bathroom sink and black grout? Landlord or Tenant?
                        by Bounce
                        Hi

I was wondering if anybody could help me and tell me who could be responsible Landlord or Tenant?

One of my properties, the tenant has been in there about 2 years and normally has always called me direct for any little problem.

I then went through months where...
                        17-01-2018, 21:53 PM
                        by ExpertInAField
                        I would suspect that if this is an internet proforma will then it would not have any of the necessary wording to keep the others out of the will. It would be a very easy will to challenge by the beneficiaries.

This would of course cost money from the estate to challenge the will. Sometimes...
                        01-03-2021, 14:10 PM
                        by mind the gap
                        Yes, you'd hope so. Trouble is, the vast majority of attempts to challenge a Will are unsuccessful. It would be very difficult as jpkeates says, to prove after his death that the father had been persuaded under the influence of alcohol into signing the most recent Will....
                        01-03-2021, 13:54 PM
                      Working...
                      X