Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzzard1994
    replied
    I have a quality mattress on my own bed - cost about £5k if I wanted to replace the entire bed. If someone took that and replaced it with a cheap mattress I'd be saying I spent £..k on that only .. years ago and the replacement is a ... that you can buy for £.. But of course very few landlords put a bed of that quality in a rental unless they have had it more than 10 years already.

We have only the OP's word for it that the replacement mattress is of inferior quality, being bought together doesnt always mean that its unfit to sleep on. "Free mattress" offers are actually pretty rare, purchasing a set is not.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    I'm now sadly curious to know what this amazing mattress was!

How much do folk spend on mattresses for lets? I'm currently spending 130-150 for 10" mattresses (7" reflex + 3" memory) and providing protectors. They seem super comfy and relatively firm although I've not spend a night on one. Feedback is good. I am hoping they will last at least as long as the disappointing spring mattresses I had before.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I guess the lesson here may be: Don't put expensive furniture in a rental place lest tenants steal it and replace with cheapo items.

Leave a comment:

• amazondean
    replied
    Sorry but I agree with the OP. The OP stated in the first post that there was a receipt for a frame and mattress. I presume the frame is not there. Which means that the tenant took the new frame and as stated, looks like they have took the better quality mattress with the new frame. There is a world of difference between a quality mattress and a cheap mattress that is not even fit to sleep on!!

Leave a comment:

• Darth Wookie
    replied
    Does the OP seriously think that prospective tenants make their accommodation choices based on the quality of a mattress.
    I've know of tenants damaging property. I've know of tenants destroying property. I even know a multitude of tenants who simply trash the place and bugger of leaving thousands of pound of quantifiable debt.
    To have a tenant who accidentally(?) damaged something and tried to do the right thing by replacing it is a wonderful thing. If this is the biggest concern, I'd love to work for you.

Leave a comment:

• tenant1001894
    replied
    Fair enough. Ever considered supplying a mattress with decent mattress protectors and replacing those at end of tenancy though?

Guess tenants could shift them about and still get to mattress underneath, but saves lugging a mattress about if they don't want to remove it themselves.

Leave a comment:

• sunnyp
    replied
    I have only had to do this twice. That is because my turn over of tenants is not so high I try and encourage/retain long term tenants. Most of my leaving tenants take all their belongings with them, I guess the charge I impose encourages them to to that. When I did have to dispose them I simply took them to my local council run recycling centre/tip. I personally would never subject a used mattress on new incoming tenants.

Leave a comment:

• tenant1001894
    replied
    Originally posted by sunnyp View Post
    The tenancies that I have furnished I supply bed frames but no mattresses, When tenants move they take with or I charge a small fee for disposal. As tenants vacate I have taken a decision to turn all my new tenancies into unfurnished.
    I guess it's up to you, but doesn't this end up with a lot of mattresses being tossed? Do you give 'left' matresses to a charity or something?

Seems quite wasteful otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    Originally posted by Brixtonia View Post
    They don't seem keen to share this information.
    and that is why I suspect the "quality" mattress was several years old and had little useful life left. The tenants have clearly indicated that they replaced the mattress because they damaged the other one. They should have given the landlord the opportunity to replace it themselves but unless the landlord wants to be a lot more forthcoming with the deposit scheme they should move on.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
    A landlord is only entitled to withhold money for a loss and you probably havent made a loss.
    No one other than the OP can know whether they have made a loss without knowing the price of the missing mattress, it's age and the price / value / spec of the one it was replaced with. They don't seem keen to share this information but for all anyone knows it was two year old £800 mattress replaced with a thin "free with with a cheap bed frame" bag of springs.

We can't evaluate whether they have made a loss based on the information provided. We can only suggest how to calculate whether a loss has been made and, if so, the extent to which we think it is likely to be recoverable.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    The landlord doesn't own the new mattress, it's the property of the tenants and the landlord cannot do anything other than return it to the tenants or keep or sell it on their behalf.

Nor do I think the tenants can possibly consider the replacement as an equivalent.
    If the new mattress is the equivalent of the old one, why did they take the old one to sleep on?

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    I see this differently - the tenants have moved into an unfurnished place. Quite possibly they cant afford to buy two mattresses - so as they soiled yours they have bought you new one and taken the one they soiled. They are tenants who have been renting furnished - they may have no idea how much your mattress cost or they may be smart enough to have done a calculation and decided the replacement was of equivalent value, bearing in mind the age of the other mattress.

I suspect you have actually got something of equal or better value.

Technically this may be theft - but hopefully a deposit protection scheme would take the sensible view that if you have suffered no financial loss you get no reduction in the deposit. A landlord is only entitled to withhold money for a loss and you probably havent made a loss.

Leave a comment:

• Hooper
    replied
    Unless the money we are talking about is insignificant, I don't understand what's so difficult. It sounds like all the evidence is there and you have their deposit for exactly this purpose. Make a reasonable deduction and they probably won't even challenge it. If they do, the worst that can happen is that your claim is refused although from what you have told us I doubt it would be.

Word the claim as:
    Replace missing (Posh Brand) mattress value calculated as £VALUE divided by 10 years x (remaining years of 10yr serviceable life with all the protections you supplied).
    Remove abandoned Crapbrand mattress (unless tenant collects by DATE): £20

Just to work those figures for you, assuming Posh Mattress is £500 and 3 yrs old (seven years remaining)

£500/10yrs = £50 a year value
    £50 x 7 remaining years = £350

+ £20 for removing Crapbrand Mattress = £370

It sounds to me like you are maybe a little intimidated by the process and stressing about it too much. But the process is there to protect you as well as the tenant. Don't allow the issue to become personalised. Don't let the "injustice!" of your tenant's behaviour gnaw away at you. Just give it a go and let us know what happens.

Go on go on go on...

Leave a comment:

• StuartH
    replied
    Why not just knock on their door and ask for it back?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Personally, I think they've stolen your mattress and I'd report the theft to the police (who will not care at all, but you can make sure you get a crime number "for the insurance").

I understand that life's too short, and don't really blame you for not doing anything, but tenants need to play by the rules just as landlords need to.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X