Tenants appear to have swapped out my quality mattress for an inferior product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have only had to do this twice. That is because my turn over of tenants is not so high I try and encourage/retain long term tenants. Most of my leaving tenants take all their belongings with them, I guess the charge I impose encourages them to to that. When I did have to dispose them I simply took them to my local council run recycling centre/tip. I personally would never subject a used mattress on new incoming tenants.
    Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Fair enough. Ever considered supplying a mattress with decent mattress protectors and replacing those at end of tenancy though?

Guess tenants could shift them about and still get to mattress underneath, but saves lugging a mattress about if they don't want to remove it themselves.

Comment

Does the OP seriously think that prospective tenants make their accommodation choices based on the quality of a mattress.
        I've know of tenants damaging property. I've know of tenants destroying property. I even know a multitude of tenants who simply trash the place and bugger of leaving thousands of pound of quantifiable debt.
        To have a tenant who accidentally(?) damaged something and tried to do the right thing by replacing it is a wonderful thing. If this is the biggest concern, I'd love to work for you.
        I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Comment

Sorry but I agree with the OP. The OP stated in the first post that there was a receipt for a frame and mattress. I presume the frame is not there. Which means that the tenant took the new frame and as stated, looks like they have took the better quality mattress with the new frame. There is a world of difference between a quality mattress and a cheap mattress that is not even fit to sleep on!!

Comment

I guess the lesson here may be: Don't put expensive furniture in a rental place lest tenants steal it and replace with cheapo items.

Comment

I'm now sadly curious to know what this amazing mattress was!

How much do folk spend on mattresses for lets? I'm currently spending 130-150 for 10" mattresses (7" reflex + 3" memory) and providing protectors. They seem super comfy and relatively firm although I've not spend a night on one. Feedback is good. I am hoping they will last at least as long as the disappointing spring mattresses I had before.
              Assume I know nothing.

Comment

I have a quality mattress on my own bed - cost about £5k if I wanted to replace the entire bed. If someone took that and replaced it with a cheap mattress I'd be saying I spent £..k on that only .. years ago and the replacement is a ... that you can buy for £.. But of course very few landlords put a bed of that quality in a rental unless they have had it more than 10 years already.

We have only the OP's word for it that the replacement mattress is of inferior quality, being bought together doesnt always mean that its unfit to sleep on. "Free mattress" offers are actually pretty rare, purchasing a set is not.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X