Tenants appear to have swapped out my quality mattress for an inferior product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenants appear to have swapped out my quality mattress for an inferior product

So, what would you do?

Tenants return from holiday 07/11/16 and move out 11/11/16. Check out conducted yesterday highlights a new mattress and the receipt provided by the tenant proves this was purchased on 09/11/16. The receipt is for a bed frame and mattress. I believe the property they have moved to is unfurnished and I'm guessing they have swapped the high quality mattress provided with a new inferior quality replacement mattress.

The tenant cited an embarrassing accident required the replacement of the mattress. I always install a waterproof and quilted mattress protector so not sure how anything gets through those. They have only provided evidence of one mattress being purchased.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Move on & be grateful I think.

I've never had a tenant replace one of mine.

Comment

It's month since they moved out and you're doing the check out yesterday?
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Their choice to move out early. The tenancy ends on 13/12/16. Check out conducted slightly early to accommodate lack of mutually convenient dates in the run up Christmas.

Comment

It may be as you said - that they exchanged them - but their story may also be true and they simply didn't recognise (or ignored) the difference in quality.

How demonstrable a difference is there in quality (or price)?
          Can you evidence the quality and condition of the removed one?

If it is a big difference and you can evidence it, charge them for a replacement and you can possibly include a charge for removing the incorrect one (perhaps offer for them to collect it).

If not, at least you still have a mattress.
          Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Does the inventory detail the original mattress make/type. You did have an inventory in place didn't you?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Yes, of course, I had an inventory in place and yes, it details the original mattress make. The inventory also references the good clean condition of the original mattress - waterproof and quilted protectors.

Comment

How old was the original mattress?

Comment

Originally posted by OopsieDaisy View Post
                  Yes, of course, I had an inventory in place and yes, it details the original mattress make. The inventory also references the good clean condition of the original mattress - waterproof and quilted protectors.
                  It sounds like they have replaced the mattress, for whatever reason, with a lower quality and cheaper one and you can prove it. What advice are you after?
                  Assume I know nothing.

Comment

As in my original post - what would you do?

Do I have any recourse whatsoever? If so, what?

I'm just trying to compose an email to the tenants to question their actions...... if there is no recourse, then no point. Pretty fed up with taking it on the chin and this in one that I did not see coming....

Comment

Originally posted by OopsieDaisy View Post
                      As in my original post - what would you do?

Do I have any recourse whatsoever? If so, what?

I'm just trying to compose an email to the tenants to question their actions...... if there is no recourse, then no point. Pretty fed up with taking it on the chin and this in one that I did not see coming....
                      Why do you think there is no recourse?
                      If you have evidence of a loss worth worrying about, deduct it from the deposit.

I'd be as non-confrontational as possible. Don't accuse them of swapping and keeping the better one. Accept their story, tell them that you understand accidents happen and appreciate their effort to change the mattress. Unfortunately the one they damaged and threw away was higher quality, provide evidence, charge them (maybe making an allowance for age) and offer them the opportunity to come and take the other mattress (or charge to get rid of it). Be realistic when pricing in age.

I have found that one of the biggest misunderstandings at the end of a tenancy is that tenants take deductions personally - as if you are telling them off (and maybe sometimes landlords are). They are much more accepting of deductions if they don't see the process as confrontational. I usually say something along the lines of that it was lovely having them as a tenant and thank you for looking after the house and that it's normal for there to be a few small things to sort out, namely...etc.
                      Assume I know nothing.

Comment

I don't get it.

You had original make and style of mattress on an inventory yet you maintain the tenants swapped this for another - and must have stuck/sewn the label back on I am assuming?

Get over it.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Thank you Interlaken - I have implied no such thing as far as I am aware. The original mattress has been removed and replaced with an inferior product of different make. At no time have I implied or maintained that the tenants have disguised the swap - it is what it is; the mattress is not the one supplied.

Comment

But the one you supplied got soiled. At least they got you a mattress and did not leave you to deal with a sh*t covered one to deal with. Why do you care, you are not the one who is going to sleep on it?

Is the desirability to renting the property determined by the quality of the mattress?

Personally I do not supply mattresses, IMHO this is personal item used by tenants in a personal way. I have never had an issue when I say this to tenants. Consider not supplying a mattress at all.
                            Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnyp View Post
                              But the one you supplied got soiled. At least they got you a mattress and did not leave you to deal with a sh*t covered one to deal with. Why do you care, you are not the one who is going to sleep on it?

Is the desirability to renting the property determined by the quality of the mattress?

Personally I do not supply mattresses, IMHO this is personal item used by tenants in a personal way. I have never had an issue when I say this to tenants. Consider not supplying a mattress at all.
                              I don't agree with the first bit - replace like with like. If the tenant takes a place with a superior mattress then they need to be responsible for a superior mattress. I take care choosing mattresses which I think tenants will find more comfy so, even though I would not spend more than 120-150, I'd reject a crap flacid replacement mattress.

However, I do like your "supply your own mattress" suggestion. It makes a lot of sense. Are your lets generally furnished? Do you supply the beds? What do tenants do at the end of the tenancy?
                              Assume I know nothing.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X