Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Regs -Staircase

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a property and upon my viewing I was informed that the current owner (elderly person) had changed the staircase in the living room to make it less steep and it is now a dog leg. Due to this, when walking up the first part (4 steps) and get to the little square, the ceiling is very low and when turning to walk up the main staircase if you were any taller than 5'10 you would have to duck.

Now, this isn't an issue for me as I am only 5'9, but I have done a quick search and seen that building regs state a clear height of 2metres should be maintained along the staircase.

My question is... due to the works having already been undertaken before purchase, would the building regs not apply to me letting the house out? (rather than if it were me carrying out the change in staircase and then the height was reduced)

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

The requirements of a rental property are different than your own home.
    You don't want anything that is remotely unusual (let alone unsafe).

If your tenant bangs their head once too oftem, you could find yourself with a local authority rectification notice, and a tenant demanding compensation for the building work required.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

the problem is that there are also building regs covering how steep the staircase can be so simply restoring the old staircase may not be an option either. If you really want this property you should take a builder with you on a second viewing and reduce your offer by however much he tells you it will cost to put right

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

I will do a second viewing to see what could be done to rectify the head height.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Objection to letting a garage
          steve-123
          I own a flat in a block that I rent out to a doctor.

I've been renting the flat's garage separately for the past two years to a builder who uses it to store work tools and equipment.

Another lease holder in the building has complained about this and is asking that the garage...
          16-09-2019, 20:26 PM
        • Reply to Objection to letting a garage
          leaseholder64
          There is probably also a clause not to sub-let any part, but even without that, I would agree that you are breaching the lease.
          16-09-2019, 20:34 PM
        • Repair costs after burglary my responsibility or not
          aco19
          Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago burglars broke into my rental property late evening. The tenants were not home. There was damage to the back door. The tenants called the police, who then called a repair man for the door. The tenants did call me, but it was 3am and I was asleep and did not...
          16-09-2019, 13:20 PM
        • Reply to Repair costs after burglary my responsibility or not
          AndrewDod
          I think we need more information from the OP to answer this at all. OP, what exactly was the condition of the entrance --

a) What was damaged exactly?
          b) What was repaired exactly?
          c) What was the minimum that could have been done to secure the door against intruders?
          16-09-2019, 20:30 PM
        • Problems with a Management Agency
          BlueMystery
          My son took a 6 month AST out in October 2018.

In March 2019, the management agency advised if he wanted to stay in the property he needed an extension to the agreement, and charged him £90 for the priviledge - although they gave him nothing in the form of new paperwork. He simply signed...
          11-09-2019, 13:32 PM
        • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
          leaseholder64
          It's not illegal, or at least not based on recent legislation. There is a transition period in which exit charges still apply, if agreement was made before June.

There are cases where charges may be made because of exceptional arrangements, even when the new law is fully applied.
          16-09-2019, 20:23 PM
        • licensee vs tenant
          imjustbait
          i have been given 14 days notice -

i asked my friend for help and to sort things out if possible, as he works in lettings etc -

he said to be this is a licensee contract not an (AST) one - (i didnt know)

basically, i want to know what rights i have to...
          07-02-2019, 20:58 PM
        • Reply to licensee vs tenant
          imjustbait
          before this letter, I received a letter of order from the courts saying:

it is hereby heard in court that:

the licence agreement is in a different name to the claimant (or something like that)

im assuming it has something to do with the licence agreement and it...
          16-09-2019, 20:09 PM
        • Reply to Problems with a Management Agency
          BlueMystery
          As an update ** I would appreciate comments on the legality of the following statement received by my son in an email from the Agents today ***

They have listed the fees they want to levy on him from his deposit and have cited the following statement

"£50 + vat for XYZ...
          16-09-2019, 20:08 PM
        • Reply to licensee vs tenant
          KTC

How on earth did the landlord's claim get struck out when you didn't bother to turn up?

16-09-2019, 20:05 PM
        Working...
        X