Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Regs -Staircase

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a property and upon my viewing I was informed that the current owner (elderly person) had changed the staircase in the living room to make it less steep and it is now a dog leg. Due to this, when walking up the first part (4 steps) and get to the little square, the ceiling is very low and when turning to walk up the main staircase if you were any taller than 5'10 you would have to duck.

Now, this isn't an issue for me as I am only 5'9, but I have done a quick search and seen that building regs state a clear height of 2metres should be maintained along the staircase.

My question is... due to the works having already been undertaken before purchase, would the building regs not apply to me letting the house out? (rather than if it were me carrying out the change in staircase and then the height was reduced)

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

The requirements of a rental property are different than your own home.
    You don't want anything that is remotely unusual (let alone unsafe).

If your tenant bangs their head once too oftem, you could find yourself with a local authority rectification notice, and a tenant demanding compensation for the building work required.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

the problem is that there are also building regs covering how steep the staircase can be so simply restoring the old staircase may not be an option either. If you really want this property you should take a builder with you on a second viewing and reduce your offer by however much he tells you it will cost to put right

Comment

Thanks for your responses.

I will do a second viewing to see what could be done to rectify the head height.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X