Tenant Domestic - Kicked Door off

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jpkeates
    What does the agreement say about the term if anything?

    If there's no end point at all, it's got a number of associated issues to address.

    If it's a contractual periodic tenancy, it would make it difficult for one of the two tenants to give valid notice (in fact it may be impossible).
    However, I'd still proceed as if it were possible and do what I suggested, otherwise there's nothing you can do at all.

    Leave a comment:

  • JohnA79
    Thanks- The fact the current tenancy agreement has no end date on it, does this therefore render it as a joint periodic tenancy? rather that one with a end date - being a fixed term.

    In view of this yes I read the difference and therefore this does make process easier.

    thanks for advice JPK

    Leave a comment:

  • jpkeates
    Originally posted by JohnA79 View Post
    Reading government paper on this does not look as easy as first expected
    It's simple - that's why I suggested the tenant serves notice and brings the tenancy to an end.
    That's sufficient to end the joint periodic tenancy - which is what that document also says.

    If the tenancy was in a fixed term, it would be different.

    Leave a comment:

  • JohnA79
    Apperar to me this is all dependent on if the second tenant is in agreement to end or not -


    End a joint tenancy to remove an abusive partner

    You can end a joint periodic tenancy (one that's not for a fixed-term) by giving a valid notice to quit to your landlord.

    But giving notice ends your rights to live in your home and the rights of your joint tenant.

    Before you do this, ask the landlord if they will grant you a sole tenancy when the joint tenancy ends. Get this agreement in writing.

    Find out about rules for ending your tenancy.

    Get advice before giving notice.

    Use Shelter's directory to find a local advice centre that can help you.

    Leave a comment:

  • theartfullodger
    When does tenant say they 1st moved in? Might be earlier than tenancy paperwork.

    Leave a comment:

  • JohnA79
    Reading government paper on this does not look as easy as first expected -

    Ending a joint tenancy (England)


    Leave a comment:

  • jpkeates
    What needs to happen is that the tenant who wants to remain needs to serve notice to end the joint tenancy.
    You accept that notice (which should be in line with the terms of the tenancy agreement).
    That ends the joint tenancy when the notice expires and allows you to sign a new one with the single tenant (and removes any right for the tenant to enter the property in future).
    Return any deposit you received from the partner.

    It would be sensible to agree to a new tenancy agreement with the tenant beforehand and just sign it on the day - there are new rules about things that need to be supplied with any new tenancy agreement.
    The tenant needs to be sure they will receive the same benefits as a single person and can afford the rent.

    I totally agree with JKO that there are some downsides to new tenancies, but in this case, I would think that the remaining tenant wants to be able to exclude the partner even when the restraining order ends.

    If it were me, I'd change the locks.

    Leave a comment:

  • JohnA79
    Im happy to let the woman and children stay not evict - She is fine here kids go to local school. The father of one of the children is however the volatile one if he has a restraining order and removed from Tenancy - Id be happy.

    Leave a comment:

  • JohnA79
    Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?

    Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
    AST - unfurnished house

    Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
    The tenancy agreement rolled over from existing landlord when I bought at auction. however the original was signed on 21/08/2013

    Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months / other)?
    No End date set

    Q5 – Does the TA state that rent is due weekly? / 4-weekly? / per calendar month (if so, on what same date each month)?
    4 weekly paid by LA

    Q6 – Did the TA require a tenant damage deposit to be paid? If so, on what date was this paid (dd/mm/yy)?
    Paid an amount around February 2015

    Q7 – If your query relates to a notice for repossession from the landlord (a Section 8 or Section 21 notice) or a tenants's notice to quit to the landlord, please provide the exact date the notice was sent/received (dd/mm/yy).

    Q8 – Does the landlord live in the same property as the tenant?

    Leave a comment:

  • JK0
    If the tenancy is from before 1/10/15, I might be inclined to leave as it is. Later ones are harder to evict.

    You'll see the relevance of this if your single tenant doesn't pay you any rent for six months after signing, and claims the place is 'damp' when you try to evict.

    Leave a comment:

  • jpkeates
    Could you answer the questions here, so we can help?

    Leave a comment:

  • JohnA79
    started a topic Tenant Domestic - Kicked Door off

    Tenant Domestic - Kicked Door off

    Morning all,

    I know I'll get some excellent advise as ever in here.

    Query remove tenant for tenancy agreement and put in to single name to due to domestic violence.
    I’ve had an incident where one of the tenants has caused damage to the property - the front PVC door kicked open the banister damaged and a radiator ripped off brackets.
    The Police were called and the male tenant was not present and had gone - the mother has 2 young children and wishes to remain in property as sole tenant
    I purchased a house at auction it had 2 names on the tenancy agreement and sitting tenants wishing to remain in property – a woman 2 small children and a male tenant who was on tenancy agreement but however was in prison.

    The female partner has been great she is trying to look after her children best she can under the circumstances.
    Her partner was released from prison then the troubles started.
    Currently after a few domestics the male tenant has had a restraining order out on him to stay out of the borough.
    In view of this I’m happy to help the single mum and her mum has agreed to pay for Damage. They also want the tenancy changing to single person.
    I have a property management company I’m after alternative views please.
    Considering the male who caused the damage has a restraining order on him then he cannot by law be able to live there as the property is inside the borough he is restrained from.

    Steps to take –
    Recover cost for Damage and put right
    Change Tenancy Agreement.


    John A

Latest Activity


  • Reply to Dont have access to a printer
    by AndrewDod
    The raft of recent legislation pretty much requires that you print a planet destroying amount of paper (and some parts of it, such as the rather wonderful "How to rent" booklet are designed so as to require an entire ink cartridge worth of ink per page).

    Strangely enough the...
    30-05-2020, 02:24 AM
  • Dont have access to a printer
    by jtufty

    I have a new tenant moving in. Ive got the contract and Condition Report ready to go but I dont have access to a printer. Is it enough for me to email these to the tenant and ask them in writing to respond theyre happy with it all?

    28-05-2020, 06:19 AM
  • Reply to Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
    by Perce
    In what ways can small claims court impact S21 or S8 ? Does anybody has experienced?...
    29-05-2020, 22:38 PM
  • Tenants struggling to pay rent...payment plan or move them on?
    by Mavis808
    I have a Tenant Couple who have informed me this week that they can not afford the rent this month. Naturally they have blamed this on the Coronavirus however they have paid their rent 1 week late often, sometimes longer so have struggled in the past.

    I kindly said I would help with a payment...
    24-05-2020, 18:20 PM
  • S21 notice
    by Uklondoner
    My tenant is on rolling contract. Since 18/04 he has not paid the rent only paid a quarter of the owed rent recently. I am ready to serve him s21. Because he is hard to talk to and being dishonest to me. Does the s21 include the time for eviction? You might say 3moths but I will say 2 weeks whatso...
    29-05-2020, 21:52 PM
  • Reply to Section 21
    by Perce
    It is not clear yet what is going to happen with evictions. The ban may be extended till the end of the year. It is becoming almost impossible to evict a tenant. The government will make a decision shortly....
    29-05-2020, 20:24 PM
  • Section 21
    by zrux

    My tenant was struggling to pay rent, they wanted to move to council house. And asked me to serve notice.
    I served them the section 21 Notice on 28Apr2020 and gave them 4 months to vacate the property on 31-Aug

    Since then the tenant says he doesn't want to move out...
    28-05-2020, 13:18 PM
  • Reply to Section 21
    by MdeB
    Yes for S8G8, but for the discretionary grounds it is for the LL to persuade the judge....
    29-05-2020, 19:56 PM
  • Reply to Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
    by Stew
    I understand you are upset but chase the person named on the lease, if they are together still it will impact the both of them so chasing for the CCJ on the named tenant will still impact the one not named as it will carry forward with them if they don't pay right away and when they try and rent again...
    29-05-2020, 18:55 PM
  • Aiming to get a CCJ on ex tenant
    by MadLL
    Apologies if I have posted this before, but I cannot find my original post, if I did indeed post!
    I rented my property to a tenant. I knew at the start of the tenancy that the partner planned to move in at a later date, although the tenant denied the partner ever moved in as I expect they did...
    29-05-2020, 17:30 PM