Person with mental health issues living next door question - Legal options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Person with mental health issues living next door question - Legal options?

Hi, I hope this is a legal section (England)?

Our rental is next door to a property recently let to social services with a young lady living there with mental health problems.

My tenant has put up with serious noise 20 hours a day for months - shouting and screaming, smashing things etc

Now this lady is focused on my tenant and has followed her 3 times now and hassles her in her garden, films her on her phone, verbally abuses her in her house by shouting through the wall but also in the garden.

Police are involved.

My tenant is now on anti depressants due to the noise, abuse and harassment.

Social services insist on keeping her there despite this.

What are my tenants legal rights against social services? if any?
    What are my/the landlords legal rights for this against social services? (ie when my tenant goes and I'm left with a house I cannot sell or let)

We've proved this lady is now a threat for my tenants safety, not to mention the noise.

Any advise appeciated

As far as I am concerned, people with mental health problems have the right to live wherever they like if they can afford that place to live (themselves). They should be subjected (compassionately) to the same law as everyone else. I say this with a lot of compassion for such people as I know personally of mental illness in close family.

However when government imposes trouble on members of the community it is a totally different matter.

What can you do. Nothing probably. The harasser is the "government".
    Perhaps (and you may be forced to anyway) let your property to a bunch of thugs at a low price for a while.

It is precisely because your neighbour is not paying, is protected against loss that she is enabled to behave the way she does.

Is there a private landlord involved next door who is allowing social services to do this. You might want to keep them informed.

Comment

Hi, yes the private owner has let it to a housing association who found it for social services but I do not know him and I doubt he'd care, the housing asc are involved and concerned about this aswell.

Comment

Ask the house association if they want to rent your house as well.
        ps: why your tenant has not given notice to you? I cannot understand it.

Comment

Yes I may have to join them - she was determined not to be ran out of her house so she stayed to fight it, but I doubt she will be there for much longer. Shame.

Comment

Well one of the lessons here is never to allow the local authority (or any part of it) to use your properties. There are many practical selfish reasons - but also the policy ones - unless Councils do a proper job they don't deserve to get our help.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Renting rooms
              by DoricPixie
              It wasn't so much tat as a ground for eviction for PRT is wanting to move into the property (for now). It was more that I'd put my heart and soul into making the property nice and it wasn't being cared for as well as I would have liked. I didn't like being at the mercy of a letting agent either particularly...
              28-01-2022, 18:03 PM
            • Renting rooms
              by Luke
              I have a three bedroom property in the U.K which I will rent out .
              I have had an enquiry from a couple and a friend
              I do not intend to live at the property
              Would it be possible just to rent two rooms to them , on the understanding they have full access to the property ?
              As its...
              28-01-2022, 06:09 AM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by DoricPixie
              I've had unoccupied insurance whilst I was overseas before. It was challenging finding an insurer as a non-UK resident but I did find one and the premium wasn't horrific. I did have to have someone go and check on the property every week as a condition of the insurance and luckily I had someone to...
              28-01-2022, 17:59 PM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by theartfullodger
              Just be careful with insurance. Empty properties are a "challenge"
              28-01-2022, 17:57 PM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by Hudson01
              If i were in this position then i would do the same, there is far too much risk thesedays if you wish to move back into it, either accept the risk and rent is as it really is with an AST or leave it empty....
              28-01-2022, 16:38 PM
            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by jpkeates
              That document is out of date and, in a lot of places, possibly as a consequence, now wrong or misleading.

The concept of individually negotiated clauses is now deprecated in consumer law.
              The OFT no longer exists and it's successor, the CMA, has withdrawn its advice about unfair terms...
              28-01-2022, 16:18 PM
            • Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by Piffy
              I use a Letting Agent. Recently the tenants vacated, prior to the tenants leaving when the letting agent did an inspection they advised the tenants that the property would need cleaning before they vacated. The tenants have now left, the place does need a good clean, the Letting Agents have said that...
              27-01-2022, 11:30 AM
            • Reply to Renting rooms
              by DoricPixie
              You can't have your cake and eat it Luke. If you want to receive rental income from a property that is not also your main home you have to accept that the occupants will be tenants. This means that you will have to comply with all your legal obligations as a landlord unless you want it to come back...
              28-01-2022, 16:09 PM
            • Reply to Deducting Cleaning Costs from Deposit
              by DoricPixie
              I wasn't sure if I was missing something in the model agreement that gave the requirement to leave the property reasonably clean regardless of the condition at the start of the tenancy - seems I wasn't.

I seem to recall the "professional" cleaning fee being an unfair clause although...
              28-01-2022, 16:06 PM
            Working...
            X