Damaged Property, who is responsible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged Property, who is responsible?

A property management Company has looked after a property of mine for a while, they then leased the property to a company that looks after ex offenders for the past few years.

We have just been informed, that an "external source" has smashed the conservatory windows and the front windows of the house. which is going to be very expensive.

This happened on the 6th alas the property company only informed us today. I believe they told the agent it is now urgent as they want to move some people in.

So who's responsibility is it to repair the damage, as I don't believe it is mine

TY

Claim for the damage on your landlord's building insurance.

Comment

Thanks but surely the property management company is the Landlord, or am I wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Gtfc View Post
        Thanks but surely the property management company is the Landlord, or am I wrong
        You haven't told us, so we do not know.

Even if they are, you are their landlord so I believe that the ultimate responsibility lies with you.

Comment

What does the contract that you agreed with the management company say about carrying out these kinds of repairs?

Comment

Were the Police involved? Do you have a crime reference number? Are they dealing with the culprit? Does your insurance cover you for malicious damage?

Comment

The landlord is responsible for the repair and should require (assuming that the tenancy agreement allows it) the tenant (who is the management company) to compensate them for their costs.
              As the management company is probably able to source reliable tradespeople at a lower cost than most landlords, it might be sensible for both parties to agree to that.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X