Lodger Agreement Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lodger Agreement Questions

Sorry, not sure if to post this in HMO or Residential.

We are taking in a Lodger and will use a Lodger Agreement.

Can I have some help with the following questions?

1 Lodger would like an 8 month agreement (to tie in with a work contract), I'm not sure about this. Worried that he might not be ideal. Can we give 8 months with a break clause after 4 (like what you can do with an AST).

2 If the tenant proves not to be suitable, what would be our rights on asking him to leave?

3 Would I do all the usual checks including credit check, residency check, confirmation of employment, right to rent checks.

4 Normally on an AST for a whole property I ask to see bank statements, but I feel this is a bit too much when it is a room only. Yes/No?

5 Is it reasonable to charge (actual costs) for the Credit Check's References?

1 You can give pretty much any term you want, with whatever break clauses you want. If you are sharing your home with someone, I'd explain that you're happy for them to stay 8 months, but for both of your peace of mind, make it a monthly contract with no fixed term.

2 If they have an 8 month contract, they can stay for 8 months, etc

3 Yes

4 Up to you, they're sharing your home

5 Yes
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thank you.

Re number 2. I've seen on here people mentioning about giving reasonable notice. Does this only apply to rolling contracts? Or is this applicable if tenant breaches agreement - eg, if no smoking permitted, but then smokes in the house, you would be able to give reasonable notice?

Comment

There's either a fixed term (during which neither of you can unilaterally end the arrangement) or there isn't.

I'd suggest there isn't.
        You'll want the rent if they're OK to live with and they'll want the room if you're OK to live with.

So there's no incentive for either of you to end the arrangement unless it's not working.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

thanks everyone! helpful insights, food for thought!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X