Suing for non protected deposit, timeline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suing for non protected deposit, timeline

I am a tad confused and need clarification please.

The six years, do they start from;

1. Day one of tenancy
    2. Day 30 of tenancy
    3. Day one of end of tenancy

Many thanks!

If the deposit was received at a point when the deadline to protect was 30 days, the clock starts 31 days after the deposit was received.
    If the deadline was the original 14 days, 15 days after the deposit was received.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The six years start from the day that you received the deposit.

Comment

OK got it.. so the six years for us started on day 31 AFTER we handed over the deposit... so we actually have just over 4 years left.

What happens then to people who have lived at a property for 6 years and when they leave find out it wasn't protected? Are they just out of luck for not checking sooner?

Comment

Can I point out an option (4)?

The RLA "takes the view that the statutory limit is also reset by the two amnesty periods that the Localism Act and the Deregulation Act have provided to landlords."
          I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

KTC,

Can you translate that for stupid people please? lol

Comment

If your deposit was taken about 2 years ago, you don't have to worry about that. It's just for older deposit that the RLA think have longer to go to court because of side effect of new law being passed.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X