Are we in the wrong??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we in the wrong??

Hi all. I hope you can help me out here cos I am at the end of my tether now!!
    I am a laid back person but I've seriously had enough now. Last year, my gas and electricity bill combined was approx 250 a month which I paid from October - March and then it went straight down to 55 a month! Bizarre? Yes! However when I went into a lodgers room to inspect mould (her permission), I found a heater behind where the mould is... So now I think that was the culprit of sending my bill sky high in the winter despite the boiler being on timer and keeping the house comfortable and warm.

Also another lodger is using the washing machine constantly since the day she has been here (4 months ago she moved in). She did 15 load of washing in one week before and now she has already done 6 load of washing in 4 days and she has put another load on. She seems like she has some sort of OCD disorder so she has to constantly change and wash her clothes and bedding every day! She is constantly doing the washing and I feel this is misusing my appliance!

She also has a heater in her room and now I am extremely worried when winter comes my bill is going to be expensive again.
    Am I wrong in telling her about constantly using the washing machine, wasting water/electricity and wear and tear? Also telling everyone not to use heaters because of fire and safety too? I feel like saying if the machine breaks down I won't be replacing it everyone will have to put money towards it.

All bills are included they just pay weekly rent which is not covering the cost of my winter bill if it happens again! What would you do in this case?

Both complaints are about Lodgers, not Ts, so give them both Notice to vacate in 28 days.
    1. Mould in one room suggests lack of room ventilation, condensation on an external wall or penetrating damp. Any sensible lodger would use the avail heater to warm the affected area.
    Which, if any, of the last 2 elec bills were actual rather than estimated readings?
    2. Restrict OCD lodger to max 2 individual machine washes/wk
    3. Increase future lodger rents.

Do you pay for water based on property rateable value (ann water rate) or metered supply?
    Are you claiming Rent a Room Allowance on your annual Tax Return?

Comment

Originally posted by landladyzone View Post
      Am I wrong in telling her about constantly using the washing machine, wasting water/electricity and wear and tear? Also telling everyone not to use heaters because of fire and safety too?
      As they are lodgers, not tenants, you're free to tell them what you like, and that you'll simply have to ask them to leave if the situation doesn't change. Would be a different matter if they were tenants.

Comment

Are we in the wrong??

Hi all. I have a couple of lodgers living with me with no problems until recently. A particular lodger was misusing some appliances in th house so i kindly told her not to and just to use them wisely, and also told her to stop registering her husbands name at my address cos he does not live here, she made excuses, said ok and slammed the front door really hard that i was worried she was going to break it! Then another issue later on i wanted to tell her something about not using electrical heaters due to fire hazards and to put the heating on if its cold but then she told me she is not going to be told what to do by me, I've no rights telling her what to do and that if everyone else can do it why cant she (they dont!) and i said excuse me? I am just trying to sort things out politely, but she walked off into her room Then she slammed the bedroom door so bloody hard I am worried the lock may be broken now but i just left her to it.
        Just now, the house is silent, everyone is asleep, she went to the toilet, slammed the toilet door then when she finished she just slammed her bedroom door loud to the point the house rattled. Starting to seriously p!ss me off i dont know whst to do!! I only asked kindly and now shes On one.

Comment

Two related threads have been merged.
          I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

The joy of lodgers is they are easy to get rid of. If you're not happy, suggest you do this or carry on.
            "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

No point in posting again about same disruptive Lodgers, you have been given the solution-give them reasonable Notice then exclude.

Comment

It has already been more than a month since you first posted here about this, why did you not serve notice if they are too difficult for you to live with?

They would have been gone by now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X