Is it harrassment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it harrassment?

Recently i found out my landlord had not been paying the mortgage, this was when we received an eviction notice thru the door to leave within 2 weeks. Since we received the notice we have had many visits from the landlord despite us dealing direct with a lettings office for our tenancy. The LL has turned up late at night a few times, knocked on the door very early in the morning and sat outside in his car until i have got up just to tell me something i already knew. Today he came round wanting to know if he had any post, which he has never done until this issue with the repossession of this house. He has also follwed me once shopping so he could find some information out.
    The outcome of the eviction was that he paid his arrears off whilst i was inside the courts for the hearing to see if i had any legal rights to stay in the property until we found somewhere else.
    I was told by the judge that i could claim compensation, can i claim for his kind of harrassment too?
    We are no longer dealing direct with the lettings office as the property is still under possible repossession we are not allowed to pay anyone for the monthly payments so for the next few weeks this is our home until our house purchase goes through, but i am not sure where we stand with the LL coming round like he has been when we dont have a lettings office to turn to.
    Any advice would be grateful. Thanks

Originally posted by rachelzander View Post
    Recently i found out my landlord had not been paying the mortgage, this was when we received an eviction notice thru the door to leave within 2 weeks. Since we received the notice we have had many visits from the landlord despite us dealing direct with a lettings office for our tenancy. The LL has turned up late at night a few times, knocked on the door very early in the morning and sat outside in his car until i have got up just to tell me something i already knew. Today he came round wanting to know if he had any post, which he has never done until this issue with the repossession of this house. He has also follwed me once shopping so he could find some information out.
    The outcome of the eviction was that he paid his arrears off whilst i was inside the courts for the hearing to see if i had any legal rights to stay in the property until we found somewhere else.
    I was told by the judge that i could claim compensation, can i claim for his kind of harrassment too?
    We are no longer dealing direct with the lettings office as the property is still under possible repossession we are not allowed to pay anyone for the monthly payments so for the next few weeks this is our home until our house purchase goes through, but i am not sure where we stand with the LL coming round like he has been when we dont have a lettings office to turn to.
    Any advice would be grateful. Thanks
    Harrassment in it's truest form!

If he comes round again, tell him you will phone the police, then do so.

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply. Part of me feels it would be a little petty to call the police but it is bothering me. I dont feel the police would take it seriously either. Thing is I need to send me a letter stating that i am taking him to court for compensation thru the eviction problem, but to send a letter means that he will come round again and pressure us even if we state that all communication is to only be thru letters. Not too sure what to do as i dont want to egg him on anymore.

Comment

Thank you for your quick reply. Part of me feels it would be a little petty to call the police but it is bothering me. I dont feel the police would take it seriously either. Thing is I need to send me a letter stating that i am taking him to court for compensation thru the eviction problem, but to send a letter means that he will come round again and pressure us even if we state that all communication is to only be thru letters. Not too sure what to do as i dont want to egg him on anymore.
        A Landlord must allow his tenant to have quite enjoyment of the property.
        Send your letter to him stating this, adding that he must not keep calling round and that if he does this will also be taken into account by the courts.
        Phone the Police, they will listen. Better still, call into your local police station and speak to a community warden and explain what is going on. That way, if you are then forced to ring them, at least there will already be a record of what has already gone on.

DON'T LET HIM GET AWAY WITH IT.

One question, if you are taking him to court for compensation, are you sure you will ever see any? Bearing in mind his mortgage company was about to repossess?

Comment

Its a bit of a strange situation really. This house, another he rents out and his own home was under repossession due to non payment pf mortgage. He stopped paying as he needed to use that money to pay the tax man! He has paid the arrears tp stop any action for this month. In the meantime he has asked if we would allow a surveyor to come round which was done last week, as his friends is apparently buying the house from him. So i am thinking he will have funds?

Comment

Its a bit of a strange situation really. This house, another he rents out and his own home was under repossession due to non payment pf mortgage. He stopped paying as he needed to use that money to pay the tax man! He has paid the arrears tp stop any action for this month. In the meantime he has asked if we would allow a surveyor to come round which was done last week, as his friends is apparently buying the house from him. So i am thinking he will have funds?
            In that case, sue the lowlife !!!!
            He give's the rest of us Landlords a bad name.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Many thanks for your advice. We have rented for a long while and never come across issues like this. I am sure he is just a bad egg and i so hope he doesnt get the chance to do this to someone else.
              Do you know if LL can get blacklisted so he wouldnt be able to should he have a house to let out?

Comment

Many thanks for your advice. We have rented for a long while and never come across issues like this. I am sure he is just a bad egg and i so hope he doesnt get the chance to do this to someone else.
                Do you know if LL can get blacklisted so he wouldnt be able to should he have a house to let out?
                No such thing as a LL blacklist, although there has been plenty of discussion on this forum over the good and bad LL's and should LL's provide refs in the same way as a tenant.

I dare say that the govenment will stick there nose into it one day, which will hinder the good ones and the dodgy ones will still get away with it. But that is another story.

Comment

ideas needed

Please could someone give me an idea on how to word the letter to the landlord and is it disturbing the peace that the compensation would be classed as?
                  Many thanks in advance

Comment

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-7352.cfm

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-7355.cfm

The above links give practical advice for how to deal with and record the harassment.

good luck.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X