Tenants want deposit asap to move out

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tenants want deposit asap to move out

    Hello, grateful for any thoughts on this issue: I've had tenants who I've wanted out of my flat for a while - usual stuff. The lease is going to end soon, and I've told the managing agents that I'd prefer to evict the tenants than renew it. The tenants have found a new property, but according to the managing agents want the deposit asap so they can put it on the new place. I don't know if there's been any damage to the property (I live abroad, just to make things more complicated) but have asked the agents to inspect.

    The tenants have me to ransom, correct? What's my best course of action here?


    Don't agree to any early return of the deposit. Don't renew the contract, let it roll into SPT. Tenants will hopefully leave since they want a different place anyway.

    If they don't leave, serve s21 as soon as SPT starts. They are obliged to carry on paying rent if it rolls into SPT and they probably want to avoid that themselves. Let them sort their own problems out.


      It depends on how much you want them out, I guess.
      If the agency say the condition is OK, it's probably worth it.

      You may find that the agency protecting the deposit won't allow its return unless the tenancy is over.

      If you return the deposit, and there is anything you want to claim for, you would have to ask, then (probably) sue the tenant for what you wanted them to pay for.
      If you are not UK based, that would be difficult, because I can't see how you could claim using the small claims process without attending any court session.
      You could pay a solicitor to represent you, but that wouldn't use the small claims route and could be expensive if costs aren't awarded against the tenants.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Have the tenants found their new place through this agent? If so then the agent will have a conflict of interest when inspecting your property for damage as he will want to give them the deposit back so he can earn his next fee. Do you have a relative or friend here who could inspect with the agent to give you a second opinion?


          There is a procedure involved in return of the deposit, The deposit protection needs to be informed that the tenancy is coming to an end. Under no circumstances should this procedure be initiated whilst the tenants are still in possession of your property. Tell them forget it.
          Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.


            Under no circumstances return it before tenancy has ended. It is not worth it.


            Latest Activity


            • Long time tenants , no TA
              Q1 – Where is the rented property located (England / Wales / Scotland / N Ireland)?
              Q2 – What type of Tenancy Agreement (TA) is this e.g. sole tenant / multiple tenant / room only?
              Q3 – What date did current TA start dd/mm/yy?
              Q4 – How long was initial fixed term (6/12/24 months...
              18-09-2019, 07:23 AM
            • Finding new tenant
              Tenants are leaving so looking for new ones for a 2 bedroom flat.
              I usually use state agents and they found 2 single guys which I met last Friday. Both engineers, mid 20s with masters degree and working for the same reasonably medium size company who employ 700 people. Both pleasant...
              15-09-2019, 20:27 PM
            • Reply to Finding new tenant
              I'd still let to them but before doing so would make it clear that you'll be carrying out a courtesy visit in around 6 weeks/2 months to see how they're getting on and if there are any problems....
              18-09-2019, 07:20 AM
            • Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
              I am just advertising a newly renovated HMO. I have had an enquiry from a prospective tenant who has advised (pretty last minute in our discussions) that he has an 8 year old son who stays with him Thursday night to Sunday afternoon each week.

              Do landlords typically allow this? I personally...
              17-09-2019, 05:45 AM
            • Reply to Tenant asked for child to stay in HMO
              and the ratio of people to toilets and showers.

              It's all such a bad idea. My HMOs aren't safety checked for children and I've no idea if any of the tenants are on the sex offenders list....
              18-09-2019, 07:15 AM
            • Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
              Hi everyone,

              I currently have a TDS adjudication with my ex-tenants ongoing. The tenants' deposit is 4300. The damages i am trying to claim in total is 7000. Even if i do get awarded the full deposit, i'm still short 2700. Im wondering if Small Claims via Money Claim Online (MCOL) is available...
              16-09-2019, 19:24 PM
            • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
              I used Once white emulsion to paint over black walls and ceilings and just one coat really did cover it, and I'm no decorating expert. I also used Once gloss to cover black gloss and again it covered it. £5000 seems very high for a 2 bed property, unless it was a huge place.

              £672 also...
              18-09-2019, 07:12 AM
            • Reply to Making Small Claims Online for Overseas Landlord
              Thanks everyone. I figured I should wait for the adjudication decision - if its in my favor, then i can consider small claims. If it isn't, i definitely can forget it.

              But i suppose if the adjudication is in my favor, i can start small claims , since it is possible i will not be required...
              18-09-2019, 03:50 AM
            • Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
              Wondering if someone can help me here.
              I live in Council Estate. Having a mortgage and been living here since 2002
              Earlier this year gang of thieves entered Storage Room (doors are secured with number lock) and broken into my storage and tools worth approximately £ 2000 were taken.
              email to council
              16-09-2019, 19:50 PM
            • Reply to Can I Sue The Council for negligence ?
              Any non-workng Security system can have a detterence factor untll sussed eg dummy alarm boxes.
              L has no duty to provide CCTV in communal areas and is best advised not to do so,...
              18-09-2019, 01:36 AM