The value of tenant checks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple question, but I imagine there are a million variations so interested to hear what you all think..

Property I will be vetting for is a 3 bed semi in good condition in a nice area, good schools and on for £950pcm

Thinking references (previous/current landlord and work?)
    Payslips for last 3 months (for a stresstest/proof they are working)
    Credit check through Experian
    Bank statements for last 3 months (this feels quite intrusive, but then I give mine up when getting a mortgage and there really isnt anything to worry about in there!)

A conversation with them, the 'gut feeling' hopefully adds to the picture above..

I just had a run in with the agents about this, agents insisted I meet with them( i always meet my tenants) I asked the prospective tenant for additional info that I wanted to see, such as payslips, bank statements, previous address council tax and utility bills letter from employment saying how long they have worked there and/or the work contract , I even ask to see any notice the LL may have given them to collaborate their reason for moving from their current place and of course the right to rent checks. All this in addition to what the agents ask for to do referencing. I appreciate not all these document can be shown but the more the better their chances. The tenant went back to the agent saying he was offended I asked him these questions my bet is he could not supply most of the info.

The agent calls me up to say I should not ask for such documents citing data protection. and that they ask all they need to feed the info through to a referencing agency who comes back with a yes or no.

I told them I am not willing to only depend on their data feed to a referencing agency and I insist on seeing hard copy evidence and If they are not willing to facilitate the letting with the additional info I am happy to pull the property.

In my experience the only tenant I did not do these checks with and went with what the agent told me, i got stung badly.

Any tenant that I have checked this additional info with have been excellent.
    Any advice I give is my opinion and experience, I am as you also learning.

Comment

Sunnyp - get rid of your agent asap.

You are (when taking on a tenant) taking on a MUCH greater risk than any mortgage company giving you a mortgage - and you ask for and get whatever you like. Data protection has no relevance to the scenario at all, and any agent who mentions this (or that a Yes/No from a credit checking agency is all you want) needs a hard kick in the teeth.

You ask for what you want, you get it, or if not you look for another tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
        You ask for what you want, you get it, or if not you look for another tenant.
        100% with you here.

As a result my voids are longer I know that there are LL in my area that will take anybody the agent presents to them, as a result agents don't like to work with me because I expect them to do some due diligence and ask awkward questions and that means more work for them.

But when I do get my tenants they are with me longer and I get paid.

Comment

I think we should introduce a landlords drinking game.
          Any time a letting agent quotes "data protection", we take a drink.

I'll be living in a skip after the first six months, but it'll be worth it.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In the "Documents" section of this website, there is a "Residential Tenancy Application" form, ask your prospective tenants for all the information asked for in that form.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              You are (when taking on a tenant) taking on a MUCH greater risk than any mortgage company giving you a mortgage - and you ask for and get whatever you like. Data protection has no relevance to the scenario at all, and any agent who mentions this (or that a Yes/No from a credit checking agency is all you want) needs a hard kick in the teeth.
              Oh come on. Even if it took a year to get a tenant out, most landlords liability is therefore £10k-£20k. That same property might have a mortgage on it of at least £100k.

Getting a tenant to print off Experian credit reports is just a subversion of Experians own data protection policies. Landlords don't share financial information so aren't entitled to have it either.

On paper, my partner & I are probably fairly desirable tenants: Late 20s couple, both in good jobs with rent around 20% of income. I'd run a mile if any landlord asked to see my bank statements or experian reports (and no there is nothing to hide in there).

Comment

I use Tenantverify (no personal link to the company) and find their reports very good. The forms themselves are so detailed that they make some applicants run a mile! There is however no substitute for meeting the tenant in person - gut feel is important too!
                Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Ryan28,

It is not a case of whether the landlord is 'entitled' to see it - what he is entitled to is to decline prospective tenants. The landlord can ask for what he wants, prospective tenants are entitled to decline (like you would), the landlord can say no - like Sunnyp would in your case. Sunnyp states his voids are longer and that is a consequence he is willing to take.

Comment

AndrewDodd is right when he says landlords are taking a much higher risk than mortgage companies. Not all LL will have a buffer of 10-20k as Ryan suggests. For some missing 6 rent payments could tip them over the edge or at least make some sizeable financial sacrifices in their personal lives .

The mortgage company has security on the property itself.

Ryan would be an Ideal tenant for my property ONLY if he was willing to prove that he is a consistent rent and bill payer.

I am after all handing over an investment in the tens of thousands if not hundreds that needs to be funded.

Comment

More to the point, the mortgage lender is a large company with security in scale(and, as you point out, nowadays an asset to entirely offset their risk),landlords tend to be individuals renting to people with few assets.

Getting it wrong could be very serious financially (have a look at the timescales for a repossession thread).
                      A landlord with a non-rent paying tenant has all the normal repair obligations, may be paying a mortgage and may have to persuade HMRC not to demand tax on income not received.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan28 View Post
                        Oh come on. Even if it took a year to get a tenant out, most landlords liability is therefore £10k-£20k. That same property might have a mortgage on it of at least £100k.
                        Oh come on yourself. This is simply a nonsense. The mortgage company usually has 100% security on their debt (when property prices are rising) and often more than 100%.

Getting a tenant to print off Experian credit reports is just a subversion of Experians own data protection policies. Landlords don't share financial information so aren't entitled to have it either.
                        The logic escapes me.

On paper, my partner & I are probably fairly desirable tenants: Late 20s couple, both in good jobs with rent around 20% of income. I'd run a mile if any landlord asked to see my bank statements or experian reports (and no there is nothing to hide in there).
                        What paper? Good luck finding a property then from a sensible landlord who cares not a jot about your cash flow while gaily handing over his half million pound asset to an unknown entity.

Comment

It is not that long ago that someone on this forum was advocating giving a prospective tenant a bear hug (accompanied by deep sniff) to ascertain whether or not their claim to be a non-smoker is the truth.

jpkeates, I'll be with you in the skip.
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Property is vacant again, advertised and have a queue of people wanting to see it.. 2 couples are really keen to get in, and gave all the right answers in conversation so asked them to go through tenant checks (we are using NLA full tenant check).. one couple has filled it all out very quickly, and rapidly it came back with lots of red flags (no history for him, not registered and any of their previous addresses they gave, 4 active CCJs totaling nearly £4k of debt).. asked them about the CCJ's and they have now withdrawn their interest as we are asking too many questions, apparently most other private lets are much more straightforward.. Saves me telling them we are not interested!!
                            Other couple are yet to fill out the check forms (sent late last night and they are both at work) so will see what they throw up.. In the meantime we have booked another 5 viewings!

This is just north of Bristol in the uk, 3 bed semi. amazed at how much interest there is!!

Comment

Me too! You sure you have the rent high enough?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
                                by HobbitShire
                                Sorry but I must reitterate that she DID provide all documents which were initially requested before both parties signed the lease. This new, rigid requirement for a utility bill only came a day before the agreed move-in date.

This is not a case of a prospective tenant having no paper trail....
                                20-01-2022, 01:28 AM
                              • Letting Agent Withholding Key (Lease signed + rent paid)
                                by HobbitShire
                                My partner has recently signed a lease through a well known property agent in London.

The lease was also signed by the landlord. References from current + previous employer, landlord, etc, and proof of address were requested before signing, and provided.

Upon signing the lease...
                                20-01-2022, 00:57 AM
                                by HobbitShire
                                Firstly, she already provided the previous lease, along with a document from the municipality of Amsterdam stating that she was registered as living there. I paid the bills as we were living together, and she has closed her Dutch bank account (as is required when you are no longer a resident). I'm sure...
                                20-01-2022, 01:11 AM
                                by Jon66
                                No bank statements with the old address on? These are available freely from your online account, or previous utility bills, council tax bills etc. I find it difficult to accept that they are unable to provide something. I would have concerns if you were my prospective tenant. You need to provide the...
                                20-01-2022, 01:02 AM
                              • Reply to Property damaged. Advice please
                                by minorbark
                                When you put it like that I'm more inclined to edge towards the S21 route regardless. As much as part of me feels some compassion for the guy and doesn't want to lump more stress on top of someone who appears to be struggling already, as has been said before, none of us are acting as a charity.
                                19-01-2022, 22:51 PM
                              • Property damaged. Advice please
                                by minorbark
                                Apologies if something similar has already been covered elsewhere. I did try to search but couldn't find anything that matched my situation particularly closely. A huge thanks in advance to any of you who do take the time to read and advise.

TLDR version: Police have forced entry into my...
                                18-01-2022, 21:55 PM
                                by minorbark
                                Thank you.

My initial contact with the police was just a phone call to the local station. As I almost half expected they wouldn't give up much info, I didn't particularly push back when they said as much and I left it at that. A formal complaint might fill in a few blanks in the story but...
                                19-01-2022, 22:37 PM
                                by Hudson01
                                A back door way into finding out what did happen (or more info than you have now), is to ask for a callback from the local PCSO who covers the beat area where the tenant lives (go online and start a live chat), he or she will know far more about your tenant that a faceless comms operator at HQ or anyone...
                                19-01-2022, 22:17 PM
                                by DoricPixie
                                Just because someone knocks on your door, even if it crescendos to them banging loudly on your door, it doesn’t mean you have to answer it or have to go and investigate.

If the tenant suffers from mental health issues and the police were sent round because someone thought the tenant’s...
                                19-01-2022, 21:47 PM
                                by WebLand
                                From painful personal experience of this issue... You should formally contact the police, ask them why they broke the door down and ask for compensation. Their lawyer will then write to you with some information which may be useful for you to know (but not giving very much detail). I expect they'll...
                                19-01-2022, 21:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X