Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenancy Agreement renewal Fee?

Hi, I need some advice

I'm just about to sign a let only agreement with an agent. The agreement states that after the initial AST has ended, if it is renewed or extended to the same tenants originally introduced by the LA, a renewal agreement fee is payable on the renewal date. My question is it best to sign another 6mths agreement or role on Periodically, either way the agent has added this renewal fee.

I heard that this couldn’t be upheld, is this correct even if I sign the initial set up agreement.

Advice welcomed!

Simple: Delete the clause concerning the renewal fee before signing and tell the agent that you do not need renewals, but will let the tenancy continue as statutory periodic (make sure that they don't serve a section 21 notice either).

My usual agent in one town had had a new "big noise" engaged to run their lettings section since I last used them. I was asked to sign a new agreement. The clause was there wasn't it! I deleted it, the young assistant quailed at my cheek, didn't understand my explanation and rushed off to consult said "big noise". A few minutes later a suited individual appeared who smiled, shook my hand, said he was happy to delete the clause and looked forward to doing business with me.
    If they insist on such stupid conditions, find another agent!

P.P.
    Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH View Post

I heard that this couldn’t be upheld, is this correct even if I sign the initial set up agreement.

Advice welcomed!
      Although many on the forum agree that this clause is an OFT "unfair term", many agents will persue this vigorously and unless you want to take them on in court, do not sign the agreement as it stands.

There are agents who will only charge a simple admin fee if you want a renewal. So either delete it or find a new agent.
      All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have drawn a line through the paragraph and initialled it. I will let the LA know and see how they react

Comment

as a LA i dont charge managed landlords for granting a new AST to same tenants but if a let only landlord wants a new lease granted to same tenants then I will charge them - its in my t & c's but dont see how your LA can charge if it goes periodic - they dont have to do anything! makes me

Do as PP says and delete it!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X