Gaining possession during fixed term

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaining possession during fixed term

Hi..I need to gain possession of my house as I am losing my job and need to move back into it (was prev my main residence). My tenant was initially in a joint contract with partner but they have split up. He gave notice and left. When the tenancy was granted I knew the other tenant was good to pay the rent as he had his own business I was unaware that his partner (still in the house) was only on benefits. Having looked into the legalities it appears that I may be unable to gain possession until the end of the fixed term. This will leave me in a position where I will be homeless if I can't get my house back. Section 21 cannot be served during a fixed term and ground 1 section 8 cannot be used until the end of a fixed term. She is unable to move out as unable to afford the costs involved in a new property. What do I do? Council will not re house tenant unless a possession order is granted. I'm stuck!

You could offer to pay your tenant compensation (and more) if they agree to an early surrender of the tenancy.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Or if he doesn't agree to compensation then it is tough luck. Find somewhere else to live.

Comment

Just to be clear,

Originally posted by AliLou1977 View Post
        My tenant was initially in a joint contract with partner but they have split up. He gave notice and left. When the tenancy was granted I knew the other tenant was good to pay the rent as he had his own business I was unaware that his partner (still in the house) was only on benefits.

[...]

I will be homeless if I can't get my house back
        have absolutely no relevance whatsoever, I'm afraid

Comment

Technically the partner wasn't in a position to give notice either, but that's no actual help in removing the remaining tenant.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X