Rent Affordability, Guarantor and vettings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent Affordability, Guarantor and vettings

A married couple age 60 is interested in renting my property. They have both lived in her mum's home and only pays bills and not rent.
    I wanted to know for:

1/ rent affordability should it be 'monthly rent + bills' x 3 equates to their minimum combined gross annual earnings?
    2/as it seems their rent affordability is 2x 'monthly rent + bills', they had offered to use their son in law to be a guarantor for both of them.
    I have read some of the posts regarding guarantor and it is not as straight forward as it seems.
    I am going to use my Agreement as it is but include Guarantor signature and date.. and have an additonal page to say what is the obligiation of the Guarantor - will this suffice?
    Would it be sufficient to the vetting and credit checks on this gurantor or should it also be done on the 'couple'
    3/ Vetting I was thinking of using Experian Credit Report 30 day trial.. what company do other people use?

Your asset, your prospective Ts, your risk
    Have you had your proposed AST checked by a qualified property Solicitor?
    I think it is illegal (DPA) to obtain a Credit Ref without subjects authorisation.
    Just ask G if he owns property where he lives and check LR, so you can put a 'charge' on it if reqd.

Comment

I have asked a 'qualified property Solicitor' to read through my TA with guarantor. The fee was £600 + VAT I am stating the fee as it was not a good experience but I have paid for their service as they were suppose to be professionals
      I have prospective tenants' permission to do Credit checks and I wanted to see what other reputable credit reference there are for landlords not using a letting agent.

Comment

A married couple in their 60s with 2x rent as income sound OK (although it depends where in the country you are).
        In London, many tenants are paying 70-75 of salary in rent.

You won't get the kind of credit check that you can get on yourself (via a 30 day trial for example), that's far more detailed than you should need.
        You'll get a number (experian would be 1-999) and probably a recommendation - "rent", "guarantor suggested".

The issue with people in their 60s is likely to be a change when they retire to pension and housing benefit.
        However, you are not able to discriminate because of age.

Guarantors are a complete pain and should be avoided if possible.

If you do procede...
        You don't want to include the guarantor agreement in the tenancy agreement, it needs to be a deed and the TA isn't going to be a deed.
        The TA is between the landlord and tenant(s) and the guarantor deed is a separate agreement between the landlord and guarantor.
        Any deed of guarantee should be reviewed by the guarantor with a copy of the tenancy agreement being guaranteed and the guarantor must be urged to take professional legal advice.
        Most professional advice is likely to be "your committing to a lot for nothing in return".
        It is unlikely that a guarantee deed will last "forever" while the tenancy can roll on for years.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Arent you a member of one of the landlord associations? They provide many of these sevices free or at low cost.

Comment

jpkeates - very helpful. Good to know salary is 2x rent is ok.
            I have declined a lot of potential tenant as they were only 2.4% x rent.
            Good tips about guarantor (G) criteria - not needed as G they are renting.
            60s - interesting their story changed of why they are moving (but I think the story is ok) I have asked the questions but what does that guarantee.
            I will do the 30 day trial (as I have done before). I still prefer to do own checks as I have a peace of mind and get a feel of the potential TT.

Comment

You should set your affordability criteria as you see fit, it's different in different parts of the country and different types of property.
              If I applied my (West Midlands) criteria in London, I'd have no customers.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The income multiple is often driven by insurance and mortgage criteria as a measure of low risk tenancies. I would check to see if either of these apply....quite a few of the referencing agencies the letting agents use will work for the consumer directly...e.g. Homelet / legal4landlords/ MARAS etc. for a small fee (incl. options for verifying income/credit searching). These companies will also offer rent and legal protection for a fee if they have referenced a tenant and/or guarantor. You can obtain suitable agreements via websites like ARLA, RLA as downloads you can pay for. The point is if you have doubts but want to proceed anyway protect yourself.

Comment

Dathena - good point - I will check them out.. I was looking at Rent4sure as referencing agency..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X