Pet question for landlords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet question for landlords

Hi just wanted to ask for some opinions from landlords if you wouldn't mind!

My boyfriend and I are about to start looking for a house to rent together. We are hoping to pay between £800-£100pcm. We have a cat who is basically like my baby and will be coming with us. I know not all landlords accept pets and I applicate many would not budge on that.

My question is, if you didn't normally accept pets and the potential tenant offered to pay a higher amount for the deposit almost as a 'pet deposit' extra, would this make you consider? If so what sort of amount extra would you feel would be reasonable?

I'd much rather be upfront and honest about having a cat but I also realise it is our potential downfall with finding somewhere to rent!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Do not offer a higher deposit, wait for it to be suggested. There are some cat-loving landlords out there.

Comment

But be upfront that you have a cat.
      LL can restrict breed, number and breed for any pet in exchange for his permission.
      Also expect you will have to do a 'pet deep clean' at end of T and a higher deposit for T damage due to cat (eg fleas, upholstery, toilet 'accidents').

Comment

My "normal" deposit is 1.5 times the monthly rent.
        If there's a pet I charge 2 times.

If there's been a pet in one of my properties, no tenant clean is ever good enough and always has to be done again.
        But tenants with pets tend to stay longer.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I allow a dog. One tenant moved a horse into the garden without permission. She did not remain long after that....
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Is the horse still there?

Comment

It is standard to ask for a larger deposit anyway, so would be surprising if they wouldn't even if they are happy to offer a tenancy with the cat.

Comment

neigh lad.
                Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Brilliant Islandgirl!

I am a cat rescuer/lover and depending on the property I would allow 1 cat but would ask for a 'cat bond' separately of say £100 against possible damage.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I didn't ask for a separate pet deposit for the cat for my current tenants for one reason - I didn't have to do any work before they moved in (they were happy with the sunshine yellow second bedroom and the decal on the wall in the main bedroom). They are looking to be there long term (they moved to get a secondary school place for their then 7 year old).

Any future pets (with future tenants) would attract a 50% extra pet deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                      Brilliant Islandgirl!

I am a cat rescuer/lover and depending on the property I would allow 1 cat but would ask for a 'cat bond' separately of say £100 against possible damage.
                      Have any of your cats ever caused a £100 worth of damage?

I have never quite understood the logic of why extra security is needed for pets. No one asks tenants if they are accident-prone.

Comment

Because, while not all tenants are accident prone or would admit it, all cats and dogs cause damage, smells and insect infestations.

If the owner is not fastidious enough when leaving (and that's impossible, because pet owner's standards of cleanliness and hygiene are compromised*) the cost of returning the property to the state it was let in,
                        which would be acceptable to a non-pet owner / allergy sufferer can be very high.

* I am one (dog fart becomes a normal background odour, hairs become normal).
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I think the biggest worry with cats is the scratching of doors and replacing these cost a lot more than £100.

Comment

Thank you for all the replies and for the advice, it's greatly appreciated.

We definitely want to be up front about her because she is part of our family and I'd rather not have to move her around numerous houses by annoying landlords by them finding out down the line and possibly ending up with a section 21 and starting all over. Without sounding like a complete loser but one of our big focuses is finding somewhere right for her, not near main roads or busy streets etc, and somewhere she will be able to see as a home as well as us. Maybe I should change my name on here to crazycatlady!

Only thing she's ever scratched is our sofas (we will be renting unfurnished) never doors or carpet or walls but to be fair any potential tenant could say that when deep down they know the place would be scratched to pieces with the week! And no fear of any more cats joining the family, she's quite content being a split only child!

Comment

If a landlord's normal deposit is £500 but they ask for an additional £250 "pet deposit", surely that means that in a case of rent arrears, they could only deduct £500 from the deposit even if much more was owed? It seems strange requiring extra deposit but then limiting oneself to its use.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X