Permitted occupier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permitted occupier

I have 3 tennants in a 2 bed flat, 1 of them has asked to move his girlfriend in as a permitted occupier. The other 2 tenants have approached me to say they don't want her to move in and don't want the contract changing... I am inclined to go with the majority and not allow the permitted occupier. Does anybody have any knowledge of anything I need to be aware of? Am I within my rights to refuse on these grounds?

Do the other 2 tenants share a room and are they related? You sound like you might have a HMO here. In my HMOs I only let the rooms for single occupancy. Once you get couples in it changes the dynamics.

That being said - is she going to move in for no extra rent? If she's not employed then she'll be using heating and electricity all day through the winter. Couples also tend to have children which will lead to overcrowding. Some couples do this to try and jump the housing queue. Just be warned.

In this instance I would say no, but say you'd give him a good reference if he wants to move to a more suitable place (providing he's been a good tenant).

Comment

What sort of tenancy is this? Is it a joint tenancy (all three tenants signed the same initial agreement) or are there two (or three) separate tenancy agreements?

Comment

Thanks for reply, the other 2 are a couple so I don't think it would be a HMO.

The rent wouldn't change, and the bills are paid by the tenants so they all have to be in agreement for those to be paid.

They are 3 months into a 12 month ast with a 6 month break clause. I would rather not let them go but I suppose that might be the best option like you say, prociding a good reference.

Comment

It is a joint tenancy, 12 month AST, they are 3 months in.

Comment

If the 3rd person isn't related then it's a HMO (according to my EA officer) two unrelated people are ok, but 3 unrelated people = HMO.

I don't think it would be fair to let the 4th person move in without paying a share of the rent and bills ie the two couples pay the same amount.

Comment

Oh really? Thanks, I will have to look further into that then! The couple share a room then the third has his own room. I thought because the 2 are a couple it wouldn't be. I will definitely check though!

Comment

Just checked it out, I think your right!

Comment

Berlingogirl,

Forgetting the HMO issue, OP has already said it is a joint tenancy - so it really has nothing at all to do with him how they apportion the rent between themselves. He simply has no say in the matter.

Comment

Letting as a HMO without consent can lead to a hefty fine so you'll need to get this sorted asap. You'll need fire doors, hardwired smoke alarms and you will be responsible for cleaning the communal areas - yes that includes the toilet! There's lots more but here is not the place to list it all.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X