Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathtub stained by lodger

Hi all,

Our lodger has moved out after 6 months, and we are reviewing the damage caused.
    They had a bedroom, and and adjoining bathroom. (We have an ensuite so never used the bathtub).

There are two issues that we have picked up on:

1) The bathtub now has dozens of yellow spots on it.
    The bathtub originally was not new, but was clean and spotless.
    They were using some sort of traditional Indian herbal/henna shampoo which it looks like has stained the white tub.
    They have cleaned the bath and all, and we have tried ourselves with several standard cleaning products, and a couple of old wive's tale solutions but we cannot get them out.

Picture:
    Bath Tub

2) One of the chrome handles has had the chrome plating damaged:
    It wasn't like this originally, and it is definitely not 6 months worth of "wear and tear".
    We think that in trying to clean the bath to solve the problem above, they may have used corrosive cleaning products/cleaning products not suited to use on metals.
    The photos aren't great, but up close it looks like the chrome has been removed and the brass (goldish/greenish) colour is coming through.

"OK" Handle

Damaged Handle

We had a signed contract and deposit with them and they are asking what is happening with the deposit, and when we will return the deposit back to them.

The bath and handles are still usable, but it no longer looks or feels like it's a clean bath.

It seems like we either:
    - Return all the deposit and accept it.
    - Retain some of the deposit, and live with it.
    - Retain some of the deposit, and spend a lot more than what was retained either refinishing or even replacing the damaged items.

What would you do in this scenario?

Thanks in advance

Is it a plastic or vitreous enamel bath?
    Layer on kitchen towel and spray with domestic bleach. Leave on for 24 hrs.
    Otherwise deduct cost of cleaning materials and return most of deposit, all else being OK.

Comment

Plastic.

Tried the bleach, left it for a few days, gave it a scrub, but it's still clearly visible.

Here's a better photo:
      http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/...rescott/y2.jpg

Up close:
      http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/...rescott/y1.jpg

Comment

See the link below. Try that.

https://household-tips.thefuntimesgu...tub_stains.php

Comment

Have you tried Bar-keeper's friend?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Gas Leak
            by Bobssy
            The plumber tried to get access the following day but they wouldn't respond and only got access about 3/4 days later....
            02-06-2020, 13:52 PM
          • Gas Leak
            by Bobssy
            Hi,

Can someone help with this please?

I have a tenant that gave their notice and during the notice they discovered a gas Leak. When I got someone to go down and look the property was empty.

Now they are claiming they want the last 12 days rent returned as they...
            02-06-2020, 10:26 AM
          • Reply to Gas Leak
            by royw
            How long did it take for someone to get there after it was reported? Just wondering if they're trying it on. Assuming they had furniture to move it rakes a little time to organise.
            02-06-2020, 13:41 PM
          • Reply to Getting cheaper rent
            by LandlordJ
            Good for you, that's a great result. Don't ask don't get....
            02-06-2020, 12:34 PM
          • Getting cheaper rent
            by JoshyT
            I rent right now and want to maintain a rolling deal or 6 month tops but with lower rent circa 30% off. What the best way to go about this? I'm not looking for a moral/ethics conversation just from experience of those on either end of that kind of negoation what can work. I am the perfect tenant who...
            19-04-2020, 21:14 PM
          • Reply to Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
            by LandlordJ
            With 5+ months rent o/s, your priority should be to get them out asap.

With all due respect, I do not think you are equipped to take it forward in a manner that will give you what you need within a reasonable period. I would also recommend that you instruct a professional to carry out an...
            02-06-2020, 12:29 PM
          • Mould/witholding rent/C19 eviction rights
            by Borischelski
            I wonder if I could trouble someone for advice, having recently become a Landlord for the first time ?

BACKGROUND
            A year ago I inherited a small 1970s one bedroom flat in Birmingham.

The flat was originally heated with a couple of electric bar heaters....
            02-06-2020, 09:37 AM
          • Reply to Gas Leak
            by Bobssy
            The supply was cut off immediately by the suppliera and soon as I was notified I responded with getting someone out to investigate.

To be honest, the money isn't really the issue. I'm just annoyed at how things were done.

Thanks for your input
            02-06-2020, 11:22 AM
          • Reply to Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
            by jpkeates
            The guidance says that preparing a property for letting is fine.
            02-06-2020, 10:45 AM
          • Can I Stay in the Property to Make Repairs?
            by DJVera
            Hi all - I'm new to this so apologies if this (or similar) has been dealt with somewhere else!
            I own a property in the south west but currently live in London. I've been renting the property out privately. My last tenant moved out in January 2020 and I was planning to get quite a bit of (much needed)
            01-06-2020, 13:38 PM
          Working...
          X