Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord withholding deposit

Hi all,

We've recently moved out of a house that we've been evicted from (landlady sought a possession order as is selling the property, to our knowledge)

My only issue is the window lock key is missing. I have ordered a replacement but will take time to arrive.

We moved out Saturday 20th August and the landlady has today confirmed how much deposit we will get back.

However, she is refusing the release the deposit until the window keys arrive and are testes. The important part from how I see it, is the fact the window keys are NOT stated in our inventory as we had to ask for these and it was posted through our door 4 months into our tenancy.

Where do I stand with this? How long can she remain holding onto the deposit??

Thanks

Originally posted by pax12 View Post
    Where do I stand with this? How long can she remain holding onto the deposit??

Thanks
    To my knowledge she can only withhold the amount it would cost for a replacement window key, I am guessing that this is less than the full deposit?

Comment

The cost I paid for the replacement key (as I have already ordered them) was a HUGE £2.96. The remaining deposit we are waiting on (after agreed deductions) is £325

This to us is a huge amount of money and I need it back ASAP.

Comment

What scheme is it protected by?

Any undisputed amount should be returned to the tenant within 10 days of the tenancy ending, so I guess she has until the 30th (next Tuesday at time of posting). Having said that, since you've already worked out between you how much she should keep, she really has no reason for holding onto it.

To be honest, it would have been easier for her to retain some of your deposit for a replacement key rather than you doing it yourself - that way it would be her problem to sort if the key she ordered didn't fit or was a lemon.

Did she protect the deposit, by the way? Usually (it seems), when landlords are clueless about how to proceed on simple things like this, the rest is also out of line...

Comment

Agree with all the above - except I suppose the issue might be that she is not sure if it will be possible to get a key that works - in which case it will cost a whole lot more to get someone out to replace the locking mechanism.

But the 20th is not too long ago and L does have more than a few days to make sure that all is well - and the key should only take a few days anyway. Even if there was 100% deposit return, you might not reasonably have expected it back yet.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
            by MR M
            I did consider approaching a Tracing Agent to try to obtain the Tenant's current whereabouts or updated information about them but the feeling is that it is not worth initiating this yet as its too soon. They may not show-up as having set-up elsewhere yet or have generated updated information about...
            22-09-2020, 14:10 PM
          • Tenants possessions left in abandoned property
            by MR M
            The tenancy is a statutory periodic tenancy after the original AST ended. The tenant has rent arrears and a S21 was issued around 3 months ago. There is no deposit and an EPC, gas safety certificate and how to rent guide were all issued previously to the tenant.

I believe that the tenant...
            16-09-2020, 10:03 AM
          • Reply to Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
            by newtenant9011
            You can prevent the landlord from entering, as you have a right to quiet enjoyment, you can even replace the locks if you would like.

In turn, the landlord could issue you a section 21 notice, but the notice period is 6 months currently plus the court backlog.
            22-09-2020, 14:08 PM
          • Renovation/Improvements vs Repairs / Maintenance
            by thesleepingdog
            Hello,

I am having A LOT of trouble with my LL who is continually asking to carry out improvements on the property. It is literally nonstop and it has got to the stage where I am utterly fed up and want to leave.

During my tenancy he has replaced all the windows in the house,...
            22-09-2020, 13:22 PM
          • Reply to Rent Rises in 2020
            by DPT57
            In my part of London there is no market justification for rent increases and imo increased individual landlord costs is not a reason to raise them....
            22-09-2020, 14:07 PM
          • Rent Rises in 2020
            by jpucng62
            I cancelled all my annual rent increases when Covid hit. Since then some people have really suffered financially and others haven’t. In addition LHA rates have increased substantially for anyone needing support which appears to have had the knock on effect of increasing the rent of properties now...
            19-09-2020, 17:48 PM
          • Reply to Rats
            by ChrisDennison
            These are very interesting comments, one of my councils (South West) told me they had to stop these services unless in public areas.
            22-09-2020, 12:35 PM
          • Rats
            by ETB
            I have a tenant who has reported that he can here rats in the walls and ceiling of his 4th floor apartment. He says there are other complaints on the tenants facebook group. I have messaged the maintenance company (Name removed) but they are not replying. Just wanted to check who is liable, I'm assuming...
            21-09-2020, 22:15 PM
          • Reply to Rats
            by Berlingogirl
            I contacted my council and the rat man came out a couple of hours later with a T shaped tube thing full of blue grain which he put behind some bushes in the garden. It was free. I've not seen any rats since but the blue grain is going down. Apparently slugs and mice will also eat the bait....
            22-09-2020, 12:22 PM
          • Reply to Call to courts to initiate reactivation
            by Jon66
            You can send the information to court quoting the case number and ask them to include it in the bundle. If it's a mandatory ground the information will make little if any difference to the outcome.
            22-09-2020, 12:04 PM
          Working...
          X