Changing the day the rent is paid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the day the rent is paid

Tenant has rent due on 9th September, paid in advance.

They want to move this to 21st of the month, I am OK with the calculation i.e months rent x 12 / 365 x 12 days, but when should he pay this difference? Would it be on the 9th plus normal rent or twice say the 12 days on the 9th and then normal rent on the 21st? What's the best thing to do?

Unless your tenancy agreement is about to be renewed, why not leave the rent due on the 9th and accept that it will really be paid on the 21st.
    You still get 12 month's rent each year (including this year) and you're not left with a stupid issue when the tenant leaves (as the rent would be well out of synch with the rental periods - which presumably end on the 8th of each month).

Your calculation is based on a 12 month year and the government's repayment calculation for a tenancy that terminates not at the end of a rental period is based on a single rental period - so you might find a conflict later on.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

DO NOT alter AST rent due date, just explain to T that rent will be in arrears during that period, but you will take no action if rent is received by 21st each month. (if rent is due pcm).

Comment

I don't see any difference on whether option 1 or option 2 are taken.
        I would probably go for the full rent plus 9 days paid on the 21st.
        Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X