blocked shower drain bathroom. responsibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blocked shower drain bathroom. responsibility?

hello, we have been in new rental for 2 months. The drain in the walk in shower became totally blocked today, and almost flooded the house,.. only noticing the whole bathroom floor was covered in an inch of water once opening the shower door at end of having a shower.
    Can we call out the managing agents to fix this or do we have to attempt to fix ourselves?
    Note: in all the decades we have previously rented,.. we have never clogged or blocked any drains or sinks where ever we lived,... so it is certainly not through miss use on our part.

You need to report blockage/overflow to LL, in writing, asap to prevent further property damage. A sensible occupier would purchase a bottle of drain un-blocker and follow product instructions. Unless LL rips out shower tray to clean dain, that is all he can reasonably try initially.
    If you had bought the property 2 months ago, as current owner-occupier you would be resp for solving the problem.
    As a Tenant, you are required to act 'in a tenant-like manner' & address minor repair issues, like blocked drains.
    NEGOTIATE.

Comment

A quick way out of this is to go B and Q or similar and buy a bottle of ONE SHOT (don't bother with others) - costs about £10 and usually on the bottom shelf in the serious plumbing section. If that won't shift it you need a professional drain engineer. In showers it is usually hair and soap build up that creates the blockage - assuming that loo flushes OK?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I wonder how much attention you were paying. If water is rising over your toes and going over the sill, and flooding 1 inch deep onto the floor - well you should have realised long before that happened that there was an issue.....

There are lots of reasons for blockages some of which are your responsibility (like hair down the drain) and some are not (like faulty brickwork in a collapsed train down route. At two months and if it was running freely before, the statistical probability is that it is you wot did it. The water should be at most a few mm deep on the shower tray, otherwise stop showering....

Do you have a filter in the drain hole? Do you use that filter (ie put the hair into the bin) or do you just heel the hair down the drain? Where does the drain go next and what else is blocked? Do you comb your hair and put all the loose hair in the bin before showering?

So when you say "certain;ly not misuse on out part" - lots of people misuse showers and don't realise that is what they are doing.

Comment

Most probable cause is that it is clogged by hard, etc. Just remove what you can then use a drain unblocker product.

Comment

how long did you stay in previous rentals? Most likely explanation is that its caused by you and previous rentals had someone who put drain unblocker down before you moved in while this one didnt.

Buy a drain unblocker and in future put down the shower each week a pint of soda water - can get soda crystals in some supermarkets and wilkinsons.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant in situ
              by jpkeates
              It's almost impossible to reset the tenancy with a new agreement.
              The buyer will inherit the previous tenancy at the same point that they're able to let the property on the new agreement, so any new tenancy is going to be a follow on tenancy.
              So things that need to be done at the very start...
              24-01-2022, 14:57 PM
            • Tenant in situ
              by Bridge2020
              I’m looking at buying another property to rent out. The one I’m looking at has a tenant in situ. I have seen a copy of the AST and payments to the agents.
              Anyone have any experience of this please ?...
              20-01-2022, 08:29 AM
            • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
              by jpkeates
              You're really going to struggle with that not being a tenancy.
              If the tenant can lock the door to exclude you, and they could wash in a sink, that's likely to be a dwelling house.
              24-01-2022, 14:52 PM
            • Rent a Room scheme
              by lgr001
              I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
              24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
            • Reply to Regulated Tenancy
              by AVJ113
              Yep, that's exactly what has happened....
              24-01-2022, 14:12 PM
            • Regulated Tenancy
              by AVJ113
              I have a basic understanding of regulated tenancy. I'm looking to buy a property with a tenant in situ on a regulated tenancy. In the real world, what are the pros and cons? Is there anyone with any experience?
              24-01-2022, 13:38 PM
              by DoricPixie
              How basic is your understanding?

From your other thread you are seeing a broker about a BTL mortgage. I think you will struggle to secure a BTL mortgage against a property with a Regulated Tenancy in place....
              24-01-2022, 14:05 PM
              by jpucng62
              Unless it is REALLY cheap - don't!

I inherited a property with a regulated tenant. The rent can only go up once every 2 years, by a specified amount, although more often if you improve the property, but it will always be cheap.

Most tenants have been in a very long time and...
              24-01-2022, 13:58 PM
            • Reply to Tenant in situ
              by Interlaken
              Agree with above but if the property is in poor condition and the tenant elderly (or could be child of tenant who may be middle aged) then steer clear. I would definitely speak with the tenant.
              24-01-2022, 13:30 PM
            • Reply to How to track down landlord
              by kelbol
              Emailing means the person may or may not receive it, and if they do, they may or may not reply. I didn't want to wait around to find out if I do get a reply. I wanted to get a phone number.
              In any case, I managed to get hold of the Landlord via the business. The ball is now in his court.
              24-01-2022, 13:15 PM
            Working...
            X