Open stair case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open stair case

I am viewing a property (as a potential tenant) next week and I've just noticed on pictures that it doesn't have a balustrade on one side of the stair case and is totally open (ie one side is the wall and the other side is nothing).

From what I've read, this is against building regs - but is that just for renos/new builds?
    can they still rent it out without a balustrade or would it need bringing up to standard before they rented it out?

(It's not a new house)

It would be a nightmare if every old house had to conform to every newly created building regulations. If you're not happy, move on, the right rental property is waiting for you....
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Ever rented a lighthouse, or even owned one?

Comment

It would be even more a nightmare if a tenant or their child lost their footing on a open sided staircase and ended up dead or paralysed.

For crying out loud. Yes, there should be a banister rail and spindles. If you really like the property otherwise, ask the landlord if these can be fitted. Otherwise walk away.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Wannadonnadoodah View Post
          It would be a nightmare if every old house had to conform to every newly created building regulations.
          It would be even more of a nightmare if a tenant or their child or visitor lost their footing on a open sided staircase and ended up dead or paralysed.

For crying out loud. Yes, there should be a banister rail and spindles. It's a basic common sense safety device, regardless of what the building regs say. If you really like the property otherwise, ask the landlord if these can be fitted. Otherwise walk away.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X