Open stair case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open stair case

I am viewing a property (as a potential tenant) next week and I've just noticed on pictures that it doesn't have a balustrade on one side of the stair case and is totally open (ie one side is the wall and the other side is nothing).

From what I've read, this is against building regs - but is that just for renos/new builds?
    can they still rent it out without a balustrade or would it need bringing up to standard before they rented it out?

(It's not a new house)

It would be a nightmare if every old house had to conform to every newly created building regulations. If you're not happy, move on, the right rental property is waiting for you....
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

Ever rented a lighthouse, or even owned one?

Comment

It would be even more a nightmare if a tenant or their child lost their footing on a open sided staircase and ended up dead or paralysed.

For crying out loud. Yes, there should be a banister rail and spindles. If you really like the property otherwise, ask the landlord if these can be fitted. Otherwise walk away.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Wannadonnadoodah View Post
          It would be a nightmare if every old house had to conform to every newly created building regulations.
          It would be even more of a nightmare if a tenant or their child or visitor lost their footing on a open sided staircase and ended up dead or paralysed.

For crying out loud. Yes, there should be a banister rail and spindles. It's a basic common sense safety device, regardless of what the building regs say. If you really like the property otherwise, ask the landlord if these can be fitted. Otherwise walk away.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
            by Hudson01
            Ok before you even consider what the agent did or did not do you need to get a handle on exactly what the tenancy says, if the s21 was valid and what the intentions of YOUR tenant are, you need them out asap, a lot of agents are utterly useless, are you located far away from the property and is that...
            25-01-2022, 15:58 PM
          • Tenant not paying and letting agent mismanaged
            by Beeble
            We rented a flat out with the local branch of a national estate agent. They were charging a very low fee (that should’ve had my alarm bells ringing) and had a tenant immediately available. This was Dec2020/Jan2021 and the tenancy paperwork they sent to me was minimal.

Tenant moved in...
            25-01-2022, 15:37 PM
          • Reply to Rent a Room scheme
            by jpkeates
            The work that they do would effectively be rent.
            But the letting rules for agricultural workers are different - but that's about the extent of my knowledge.
            25-01-2022, 15:12 PM
          • Rent a Room scheme
            by lgr001
            I have a mobile home next to my property. Do I qualify for the rent a room scheme if I rent out the mobile home but the occupant must use the shower and washing facilities in my house i.e. so that the mobile home is not a separate unit of accommodation? There is a provision by the council that it...
            24-01-2022, 14:25 PM
          • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
            by jpkeates
            Unless you've always wanted to be a landlord, I'd sell them and use the money to do something different.

Being a landlord at some distance is not easy, and being a landlord isn't all gravy either.
            It's not something to do just because an opportunity comes up.
            25-01-2022, 15:09 PM
          • Inherited a few rentals
            by Landlord7289
            Hoping for some advice on this situation from people who may have been through similar...

I am inheriting 4 rental properties from my late father. Are there any tips or ideas people would share about this situation?

My situation is I am early 30s in full time employment, live...
            25-01-2022, 15:02 PM
          • Reply to Inherited a few rentals
            by jpucng62
            Sell them.

As a 40% tax payer you will be hit hard by tax; managing properties from afar is difficult and expensive; as IHT will have been paid there will be no CGT if you sell quickly; land lording is not something you can learn overnight & there are a multitude of pitfalls.
            25-01-2022, 15:07 PM
            by lgr001
            Just as an afterthought... Plan B: Would I be allowed to have someone stay in the mobile home rent free in return for helping me about the farm? (I have 10 acres which needs a lot of up keep in the summer) They would shower and wash and possibly cook in the main home but just sleep and use the lounge...
            25-01-2022, 14:55 PM
            by lgr001
            Thanks everyone. I will take your advice and not bother. The mobile home is on my property and the door is about 10ft away from my door but it has shower, toilet etc. I really don't think it's worth all the bother especially as I have an extremely difficult neighbour who would report me at the drop...
            25-01-2022, 14:48 PM
          • Reply to VAT @ 20% on energy bills charged on by letting agent ?
            by jpkeates
            You're right, fuzzy thinking day.
            25-01-2022, 14:29 PM
          Working...
          X